Galway North–East (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|Former Dáil Éireann
|County/City council||County Galway
Galway North–East was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1969 to 1977. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The constituency was created under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1969 for the 1969 general election to Dáil Éireann. It was abolished under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1974, with effect from the 1977 general election.
Its boundaries were defined by the 1969 Act as comprising:
- the administrative county of Galway, except the parts thereof which were comprised in the constituencies of Clare–Galway South and Galway West;
- part of County Roscommon, comprising all or part of the former rural districts of Athlone No. 2, Castlereagh and Roscommon.
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Galway North–East 1969–1977|
|Michael F. Kitt
|1975 by-election||Michael P. Kitt
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
|1975 by-election: Galway North–East|
|Fianna Fáil||Michael P. Kitt||14,479||52.8||1|
|Fine Gael||Paul Connaughton, Snr||12,532||45.7|
|Electorate: 37,176 Valid: 27,420 Quota: 13,711 Turnout: 73.8%|
1973 general election
|1973 general election: Galway North–East|
|Fine Gael||John Donnellan||6,636||25.3||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Hussey||5,340||20.4||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Michael F. Kitt||5,523||21.1||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Mark Killilea, Jnr||4,336||16.5|
|Fine Gael||Michael Mitchell||2,269||8.7|
|Fine Gael||Michael Ryan||2,113||8.1|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 26,217 Quota: 6,555 Turnout:|
1969 general election
|1969 general election: Galway North–East|
|Fine Gael||John Donnellan||7,097||26.8||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Michael F. Kitt||5,991||22.6||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Hussey||5,571||21.0||3|
|Fine Gael||Patrick Cunningham||2,548||9.6|
|Fianna Fáil||Patrick Moylan||1,858||7.0|
|Labour Party||William Burke||1,748||6.6|
|Fine Gael||Michael Ryan||1,664||6.3|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 26,477 Quota: 6,620 Turnout:|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1969: Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1969: Galway North–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 16 February 2009.
- "General election 1973: Galway North–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 16 February 2009.
- "By-election 1975: Galway North–East". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 16 February 2009.