Gamaliel, also spelled Gamliel and Gamiliel, is the Greek form of the Hebrew name meaning "God is my reward/recompense" indicating the loss of one or more earlier children in the family. A number of influential individuals have had the name:
- The Hebrew Bible refers to Gamliel, son of Pedahzur, the leader of the tribe of Manasseh during the census of the Israelites in the Sinai desert (Numbers 1:10;2:20;7:54,59;10:23).
- Gamaliel, also called Gamaliel I or Gamaliel the Elder was a first-century authority on Jewish law who appears in the Acts of the Apostles. In Christian tradition, he was later considered to be a Christian saint (Saint Gamaliel). In Judaism he is a respected authority quoted in the Talmud referred to as Rabban Gamliel.
- Gamliel II, also known as Gamliel of Jabneh
- Gamliel III, son of Judah haNasi the redactor of the Mishna, and his successor as Nasi (patriarch)
- Gamliel IV, grandson of Gamliel III, patriarch in the latter half of the 3rd century
- Gamliel V, son and successor of the patriarch Hillel II
- Gamliel VI, grandson of Gamliel V, the last of the patriarchs, died in 425
- Shimon ben Gam[a]liel (I), the son of Gamaliel I, the Elder
- Shimon ben Gam[a]liel (II), the grandson of Shimon ben Gamliel (I)
Gamaliel in Kabbalah and Gnosis
In Kabbalah and Gnostic writings Gam(a)liel is the name of a great aeon or luminary, a beneficent spirit associated with Gabriel, Abraxas, Mikhar, and Samlo. In the Revelation of Adam to his son Seth (a Coptic apocalyptic manuscript) Gamaliel is one of the high, holy, celestial powers whose mission is "to draw the elect up to heaven". Eliphas Levi in his Philosophie Occulte rates Gamaliel as evil, an adversary of the cherubim, serving under Lilith. Gamaliel is also the name of one of the Qliphoth, see Gamaliel (Qliphah).
Gamaliel as a forename
- Gamaliel Bailey (1807-1859), a U.S. journalist
- Gamaliel Bradford (1768-1824), an American privateer; at least the second of that name
- Gamaliel Bradford (1863-1932), an American biographer, critic, poet, and dramatist; the sixth of seven men called Gamaliel Bradford in unbroken succession
- Gamaliel King, an American architect
- Gamaliel, the middle name of US President Warren G. Harding
- Gamaliel, the middle name of American scholar Warren G. Bennis
Gamliel as a surname
- Gamaliel Foundation, a Chicago-based non-profit providing training and consultation to affiliated congregation-based community organizations
- "Gamalielese", a term coined by H. L. Mencken to mock President Harding's speaking style
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Gamaliel.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.