||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (April 2013)|
Gambler's Help is a network of agencies funded by the State Government in Victoria, Australia to provide a range of community served for gambling related issues. Gambler's Help is administered by the Department of Justice, but receives funding from the Community Support Fund which receives a portion of the profits from the operation of gaming machines (better known as poker machines) in Victoria.
Gambler's Help was established under the name Breakeven in 1994 with the first regional services commencing operation in 1995. The name was changed to Gambler's Help in November 2000.
The Gambler's Help network in the state of Victoria consists of:
- A range of projects and a communications campaign delivered and managed by the Office of Gaming and Racing's Problem Gambling Unit
- A statewide telephone counselling service
- Gambler's Help Line 1800 858 858
- Regional services which provide counselling, financial counselling and community education as well as manage local projects.
- Gambler's Help City - operated by the Salvation Army
- Gambler's Help Southern - operated by Bentleigh Bayside Community Health
- Gambler's Help Eastern - operated by Eastern Access Community Health
- Gambler's Help Northern - operated by Banyule Community Health Service
- Gambler's Help Western - operated by Isis Primary Care
- Gambler's Help Gippsland - operated by Anglicare Victoria
- Gambler's Help Barwon - operated by Bethany Family Support
- Gambler's Help Grampians - operated by Relationships Australia
- Gambler's Help Central Highlands - operated by Child & Family Services Ballarat
- Gambler's Help East Hume - operated by Upper Hume Community Health Service
- Gambler's Help Hume - operated by Goulburn Valley Community Health Service
- Gambler's Help West Hume - operated by Mitchell Community Health Service
- Gambler's Help Loddon - operated by Bendigo Community Health Service
- Gambler's Help Mallee - operated by Mallee Family Care
Separately funded are a Gambler's Help Indigenous service and multicultural service.
- Problem Gambling Victoria
- Gambler's Help Southern
- Council of Gambler's Help Services
- First Step: Self-Help for Gambling Issues
Gambling Help Service Queensland
The Gambling Help Service Queensland, is operated by a network of agencies funded by the Queensland State Government, that provide a range of services to people with gambling problems.
Relationships Australia is one of the agencies that operates the Gambling Help Service in a number of regions throughout Queensland.
Relationships Australia provides the following FREE services to people with gambling problems:
•Confidential face-to-face counselling services for people with a gambling problem and/or to the partners or relatives of people with a gambling problem (individual, relationship and financial counselling available)
• Education and prevention activities in relation to problem gambling
• Resourcing for other community agencies to better meet the needs of those affected by problem gambling
• Liaison with the gambling industry and assistance in the development of responsible gambling/consumer protection/harm minimisation strategies
• Information for students and the general public about problem gambling.
All people who access the service are supported by qualified counsellors. As a minimum requirement of employment, all counsellors are tertiary qualified and they undertake, upon employment, additional training in their specialty area (in this case, addictions) in order to be accredited by the organisation. An ongoing, regular process of supervision also forms part of our quality assurance / accountability procedures.
Where to get help
To access counselling or other services offered, contact any Gambling Help Service in Queensland. (In some branch offices, group work may be available in addition to individual counselling).
Gambling Help Services provided by Relationships Australia
|Brisbane||07 3423 6950|
|Logan||07 3808 9235|
|Gold Coast||07 5575 6122|
|Ipswich||07 3281 8677|
|Sunshine Coast||07 5492 7255|
|Rockhampton & Central QLD||07 4926 9377|
|Mackay & Whitsunday||07 4957 4542|
Gambling Help Services provided by other agencies
|Gambling Help Toowoomba& South West||Lifeline Darling Downs & South West Qld||(07) 4632 2615|
|Gambling Help Caboolture & Redcliffe Peninsula||Alcohol & Drug Foundation (Interlock)||(07) 5428 6244|
|Gambling Help Wide Bay & Burnett||Lifeline Community Care - Fraser District||(07) 4124 3839|
|Gambling Help Townsville||Centacare Townsville||(07) 4772 9000|
|Gambling Help Cairns||Lifeline Cairns Region||07) 4050 4955|
|Gambling Help Mount Isa||Centacare Townsville||(07) 4743 4449|
|Moonyah Rehabilitation Service, Red Hill||Salvation Army||(07) 3369 0922|