Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter
The Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter is an accessory for the Game Boy Advance, released by Nintendo in 2004. It provides an alternative to the Game Boy Advance Game Link Cable but is not as popular due to a number of issues. The Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter is also compatible with the Game Boy Advance SP, Game Boy Player, and e-Reader.
Like the Game Boy Advance Game Link Cable, this device allows for multiplayer gaming with the Game Boy Advance, and attaches via the External Extension Connector. The range of this adapter is short compared to the built-in wireless function of the Nintendo DS; Nintendo recommends players stay within 10 ft. (about 3m) of each other for best results. Note that due to the Game Boy Micro's different style link cable port, the Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter will not attach to it. However, a Game Boy Micro Wireless Adapter is available for the Game Boy Micro which is compatible for linking with the Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter. Neither wireless adapter can connect with the Nintendo DS since the DS does not support multiplayer mode in Game Boy Advance games.
One of the wireless adapter's greatest uses is in Pokémon FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald. While all three still support the Game Boy Advance Game Link Cable, up to thirty-nine wireless adapter-connected players can convene in a virtual in-game lobby called the "Union Room" for battles and trades. The wireless adapter is also used in Pokémon games to download special data via the Mystery Gift option at various Pokémon-related events. Besides the Union Room in certain Pokémon versions, the wireless adapter only supports up to five players.
A major drawback of the Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter is that it is not backwards compatible; that is, it will only work with games that have been programmed to support the wireless adapter, excluding all older model Game Boy games. As of July 2009, only about 30 Game Boy Advance games support the wireless adapter, and many of the few supported games are the bit Generations series (Japan only) and the Classic NES Series.
This feature can be accessed when the system was turned on with only the wireless adapter inserted but no game cartridge is present. It's also possible to boot the wireless adapter, or any single-pak multiplayer, with a game inserted by holding Start and Select as the system boots up. It will continually search for compatible games that are being played nearby. This allows players to easily see who is hosting a game that can be joined.
Marketing and pricing
The accessory was packaged with most Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen games and was also available for separate sale. Nintendo of America sells the device separately on its online store for USD $19.99.
There are some third-party devices that use the wireless functionality but act more like a link cable. One such device is Majesco's Wireless Link, priced at USD $3.99, but it has very poor reviews on Amazon.com.
- bit Generations series (Japan only)
- Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
- Boktai 3: Sabata's Counterattack
- Classic NES Series:
- Digimon Racing (Note: Wireless Adapter functionality is not available in the European release)
- Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury
- Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
- The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
- Sonic Advance 3
- Sonic Advance
- Mario Golf: Advance Tour
- Mario Tennis: Power Tour
- Mega Man Battle Network 5
- Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Falzar
- Mega Man Battle Network 6: Cybeast Gregar
- Momotaro Dentetsu G: Make a Gold Deck! (Japan only)
- Pokémon Emerald
- Pokémon FireRed
- Pokémon LeafGreen
- Sennen Kazoku (Japan only)
- Shrek SuperSlam
- "GameFAQs: Compatibility FAQ by ArsonWinter".
- "Nintendo Customer Service: Wireless Adapter FAQ".
- "Nintendo Customer Service: Link Cable Selector Tool".
- "Pokémon HowTo: Mystery Gifts in Diamond and Pearl".
- "IGN: Nintendo Wireless Adapter".
- "Nintendo Online Store: Game Boy Advance Wireless Adapter".
- "Majesco Entertainment: Majesco brings text messaging and wireless connectivity to Game Boy® Advance".
- "Amazon.com: Majesco Wireless link".