|Created by||Arin Hanson
|Presented by||Arin Hanson
Jonathan Jafari (season 1)
Leigh Daniel Avidan (season 2 - present)
|Theme music composer||Arin Hanson
Grant Kirkhope (Guest Grumps)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||2,011(episodes)|
|Editor(s)||Jonathan Jafari (season 1)
Barry Kramer (season 1 - present)
|Running time||10-20 minutes
30-60(+) minutes (Special Episodes)
|Original airing||July 18, 2012- present|
|Related shows||Steam Train
Game Grumps is a Shorty Award nominated Let's Play webseries created on July 10, 2012, by comedic game critic Jonathan Jafari and animator Arin Hanson. JonTron left the show in 2013, and was replaced by comedy musician Leigh Daniel Avidan. The channel also expanded to include new hosts animator Ross O'Donovan, series editor Barry Kramer, and secretary and Hanson's wife Suzy in spin-offs. Jafari and Hanson have said they were inspired to make the show after seeing episodes of James Rolfe's video game webseries The Angry Video Game Nerd.
Each day, a video of Arin "Egoraptor" Hanson or Jon "JonTron" Jafari playing a console video game was uploaded to the channel, featuring their own experiences with the game. Longer video games would form series of ongoing gameplay and commentary by the two until completion. Occasionally, they would participate in two-player games against each other, as part of their Game Grumps Vs. series. Before Jafari's departure to work on his own JonTron series, the two appeared in a promotional video for the Warner Bros. movie Pacific Rim produced by Polaris. The video also featured other internet personalities Jesse Cox, Dodger, Mike Lamond and John Bain. In the video they played new recruits under training by "The Lieutenant Commander" played by Robert Kazinsky.
With JonTron's departure in June 2013, Ninja Sex Party vocalist Leigh Daniel "Danny Sexbang" Avidan came on to replace him as co-host. Danny would also join Ross "RubberNinja" O'Donovan as co-hosts of the spin-off Steam Train, where both play PC games (the title references the retailer Steam). This expanded the channel's output to three videos a day: two standard Game Grumps episodes and a single Steam Train episode. Steam Train later expanded to include Arin as a co-host at times (sometimes replacing Danny) as well as featuring the group's video editor Barry Kramer and the group's secretary and Arin's wife Suzy (née Berhow). The expansion also introduced a new Steamrolled series where four-player games (not necessarily PC games) are played by the group. In October 2013, the group began a series on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the Polaris YouTube channel titled Game Grumps Present: Hunting Monsters.
In December 2013, Barry and Suzy began hosting Table Flip, where they dress in Victorian/19th century American period clothing and play tabletop games, such as card games, board games, and tile-based games with other YouTube personalities. The series is professionally produced by Polaris, with seven cameras and extensive editing in post-production to fit the content to the show's 45 to 60 minute format on Polaris's website rather than the Game Grumps YouTube channel.
In late 2013, the Game Grumps had put various games, which they'd received multiple copies of, on eBay for auction, with all the proceeds going to the children's charity Child's Play. After the auctions had ended, the total amount they had raised was over $7,000.
Due to the popularity of the series, there has been a large amount of content created by fans based on the series. Common fan creations from the show include animated re-creations of scenes from the show featuring audio from the show and musical remixes of audio from the show, and also comic strips. The show and its hosts have also since been referenced in a number of video games such as DLC Quest and The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures.
A specially modified version of the demo for The Stanley Parable was played on the show which addressed the show's hosts Danny and Ross. The show's host Danny will be appearing in the upcoming PC game Default Dan as a playable option. A special version of Electronic Super Joy was made for them, which features Ross and Dan themselves. Arin, Danny and Ross, along with his cat Orph, will be playable characters in the game Hex Heroes for the Wii U. They will also be providing voiceover work.
Comedy musician "Weird Al" Yankovic, during a Reddit AMA session, claimed that he enjoys Ninja Sex Party's content, as well as the show's, and has expressed interest in joining the show for a possible Guest Grumps episode in the future.
Awards and nominations
|2013||Shorty Awards||#Gaming||Nominated||PewDiePie (tie)|||
- Graser, Marc (2013-01-08). "Maker Studios Hits Reset on The Game Station, Renames it Polaris". Variety. Retrieved 2014-03-16.
- "Shorty Award Finalists Announced". Huffington Post. 2013-02-26. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- "Pacific Rim - Training Day with Jesse Cox, Dodger, Huskystarcraft, Totalbiscuit, and the GameGrumps". YouTube. 2013-07-12. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- "18th Century-ish Table Flip Theme? - Suzy and Barry Game Grumps AMA". Polaris. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- "How is Table Flip filmed? - Suzy and Barry Game Grumps AMA". Polaris. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Aziz, Hamza (2013-08-21). "GameGrumps auctioning off games for Child's Play". Destructoid. Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- Conway, Ryan (2013-08-30). "Game Grumps eBay auctions raise $7K for Child’s Play". ScrewAttack. Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- Amini, Tina (2013-03-29). "In 70 Or So Years, The Game Grumps Will Be The Game Gramps And This Is …". Kotaku. Retrieved 2014-11-01.
- Napierski, Steve (2014-08-03). "When Grumpy Met Sally". Dueling Analogs. Retrieved 2014-03-15.
- "DLC Quest". VGFacts. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- "Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures". VGFacts. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- Thew, Geoff (2014-02-14). "Vertical Slice Demos Provide a Clear-Cut Advantage". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- Kikiwik Games (2014-01-30). "Play as Default Danny!". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2014-03-13.
- Prismatic Games LLC (2014-09-04). "OUR GRUMPIEST ANNOUNCEMENT YET". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2014-10-04.
- Hayley Westenra (2013-11-12). "Twitter / Hayley Westenra: I'd like to thank @egoraptor & @GameGrumps for their very fresh spin on "Prayer". Performing that song will never be the same again.". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- Markus Persson (2012-03-11). "Twitter / Markus Persson: So far today, I've watched Game Grumps. I'm ok with this.". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- Markus Persson (2013-11-16). "Twitter / Markus Persson: Sometimes I wish I was a game grump.". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-03-22.
- https://i.imgur.com/Ee5iOEG.png. Missing or empty
- Ngak, Chenda (2013-09-04). "Shorty Awards 2013 honors Michelle Obama, Jimmy Kimmel". CBS News. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- Game Grumps at the Internet Movie Database
- Game Grumps's channel on YouTube
- Game Grumps on Twitter
- Game Grumps on Facebook
- Game Grumps on Instagram