|Chief editor||Konstantin Govorun|
1996 - Oct 1998 - monthly
|First issue||February 1996|
#12 (350), 2013
Strana Igr (Russian: Страна игр, Gameland) was a Russian magazine focused on video games. It was published by Gameland between 1996 and late 2013 when the magazine was suspended due to financial problems.
History and profile
Starting December 2010, the magazine established a partnership with Japanese magazine Famitsu, publishing the best of their features. Magazine's chief editor Konstantin Govorun notes this allows the publication to cover exclusives prior to releases in English magazines.
In an interview with GamesLife.ru, Govorun describes that the magazine has seen a significant growth compared to its early years, now becoming one of the biggest video gaming magazine. He explains the success of the publication with the fact that Russia has a strong PC gamer market and that the few available non-Russian publications, such as Edge or gamesTM, do not share the same target audience. He also notes that the team, including editors, are allowed much freedom in writing columns and that the staff room did not see major changes over the years and considers these factors important for still being in circulation, despite other similar magazines having closed. Sergey Galenkin explains in a Kanobu.ru piece that in comparison to other defunct magazines, Strana Igr has taken care to publish non-sensationalized pieces steadily that match their target audience well. He also noted that the magazine's publisher Gameland runs several other publications and the magazine's online availability are positive factors to remain in circulation.
In magazine format, game reviews received a score of up to 10 in 0.5 increments. According to review aggregator Kritikanstvo.ru, Strana Igr published over 3700 game reviews with an average score of 75%.
- "Famitsu заговорил по-русски в «Стране Игр»" [Famitsu now speaks Russian in Gameland]. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Константин Говорун ("Страна Игр"). GamesLife.ru (in Russian). Kanobu Network. 24 November 2009. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Сергей Галенкин (26 October 2010). Про смерть печатной прессы: ответы на вопросы [About the death of print press: answers to questions]. Kanobu.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Сергей Галёнкин (18 October 2010). Про смерть печатной прессы [About the death of print press]. Kanobu.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Критиканство – Страна Игр". Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Блог команды «Страны Игр»
- Сайт Константина Говоруна. «СИ» и краудфандинг
|This video game magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.