||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (June 2014)|
Type of site
|Video game website|
GamesRadar is a video game website featuring video game related news, previews, reviews, videos, and guides. It is owned and operated in the UK and US by worldwide publisher Future plc (including Future US).
Format and style
GamesRadar publishes numerous articles each day, including official video game news, reviews, previews and interviews with publishers and developers. One of the site's features is their "Top 7" lists, a weekly countdown detailing both positive or negative aspects of video games themselves, the industry and/or culture.
By Early 2012, many of the long standing writers and editors were either laid off or had moved on to other careers, including many recurring hosts and guests of the site's "TalkRadar" podcast, which at the time ended at episode 198 in February that same year. In November 2012 Keith Walker became the new publisher at Future and thus GamesRadar, looking to improve "digital growth". By December 2012 the site underwent a drastic new redesign including new layout, interface and regular features along with new staff members and successor to TalkRadar podcast titled "RadioRadar". Many of the original members of TalkRadar went on to produce the Laser Time podcast network, including appearances with current GamesRadar employees.
In 2007 the State of Texas filed a lawsuit against GamerRadar's parent company Future plc and another site owner for violating the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. The lawsuit alleges that the site "failed to include necessary disclosures and obtain parental consent before collecting personal information from children." The owner of the other websited settled in March 2008, though the final disposition against Future plc is not public record.
- GamesRadar and Cheat Planet readership tops 3.2m // GamesIndustry.biz[dead link]
- Future plc[dead link]
- "GamesRadar Top 7 Compendium". Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- "GamesRadar Releases iPhone App". Edge Magazine. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "The Slow Bleeding Out of Future’s GamesRadar". Front Towards Gamer. 2012-02-19. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- "New publisher for Future's CVG and GamesRadar". gamesindustry.biz. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "Future US Announces the Launch of the New GamesRadar". EDN. 2012-12-11. Retrieved 2014-08-26.
- Androvich, Mark (6 December 2007). "Texas files lawsuit against Future US". Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Vijayan, Jaikumar (7 December 2007). "Texas AG sues two sites for children's privacy violations". Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Rose Proskauer (28 May 2008). "Texas Attorney General Settles One of First State COPPA Enforcement Actions". Proskauer. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "Privacy: State Law Approaches to Address Digital Food Marketing to Youth". Public Health Advocacy Institute. p. 2. Retrieved 30 July 2014.