|Venue||Koelnmesse (Cologne Trade Fair)|
|Organized by||Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware|
Gamescom (stylized as gamescom) is a trade fair for video games held annually at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is organised by the Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware (English: Federal Association of Interactive Entertainment Software). It is used by many video game developers to show off their upcoming games and game-related hardware.
Gamescom is Europe's largest gaming event, (measured by exhibition space and number of visitors) with 340,000 visitors, more than 6,000 journalists and 635 exhibitors from 88 countries attending the show in its fifth year.[third-party source needed] Gamescom is the second largest gaming convention in the world after Asia Game Show in terms of total attendance. It was first held from 19 to 23 August 2009. In 2013, Gamescom was held from 21 August to 25 August.
- 1 Gamescom 2009
- 2 Gamescom 2010
- 3 Gamescom 2011
- 4 Gamescom 2012
- 5 Gamescom 2013
- 6 Game Developers Conference Europe
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Notable press conferences
Wednesday, 18 August:
Thursday, 19 August:
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the PlayStation 3 Slim, a smaller and lighter model of the console and a release date of 1 September 2009. Firmware 3.0 for the PlayStation 3 was also announced, adding new features to the PlayStation Network. Sony announced that the European Video Store would launch in November 2009. Sony also announced that the PlayStation Portable would get smaller games (under 100mb) in the form of 'minis' and that comics would also be available to download in December 2009. A "free game" registration promotion was announced for the PSP Go.
Microsoft Game Studios announced Fable III, along with a release date of 2010. Also, Microsoft announced their intention to release Fable II on the Xbox Live Marketplace in five episodes, the first of which will be free to download.
While most press conferences were not available for live streaming, Electronic Arts was streaming its press conference on EA.com. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe also showcased its press conference on its online community-based service PlayStation Home shortly afterwards. Sony also made its press conference available for download on the PlayStation Store. Various gaming websites offered live-blogging of the respective press conferences.
The two main announcements from this GamesCom came from Insomniac Games, who announced two sequels from two of their franchises: Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, by revealing some gameplay from the game, and Resistance 3, via a live action teaser trailer. These games will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3. All 4 One has a set release date as late 2011, while Resistance 3 did not have a release date.
- The First Dota 2 International Championships in 2011, the biggest prize pool of any e-sports tournament at the time
- The World Championship Series 2013 Season 2 Global Finals, a StarCraft II tournament with a $150,000 prizepool, were held during the event.
- Three League of Legends Tournaments were held during the event:
Game Developers Conference Europe
The Game Developers Conference Europe (GDC Europe), a European spinoff of the Game Developers Conference, is held annually in conjunction with the Gamescom and takes place at the Cologne Congress Centre East.
- Games Convention
- Electronic Entertainment Expo
- Asia Game Show
- Tokyo Game Show
- Paris Game Festival
- Game Developers Conference
- "Preliminary report on gamescom 2009: Cologne is ready for the premiere of the new leading European trade fair".
- "Lost Planet 2 to make PS3 debut at GamesCom". Game Zine. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Sony confirms unveiling of new Heavy Rain character for Gamescom". Video Games Republic. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Namco Bandai Partners (Press release) (2009-08-07). "Namco Bandai Partners' gamescom line-up". Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "No. 29 Final Report: Over 340,000 visitors celebrated the ʽnext generation of gamingʼ at the exceptional gamescom". gamescom.de. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "Asia Game Show beats out TGS, gamescom in attendance". Destructoid.
- "EA GamesCom 2009 Press Conference Video Archive". Archived from the original on 14 September 2010.
- "MotorStorm Swerves Into PlayStation Home; The Presentation Podium Opens Its Doors For gamescom". SCE.
- "K-game’s spark in European market". Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the United States of America. August 24, 2012. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- Phil (7 August 2013). "Countdown to GamesCom Cologne!". Bespoke Arcades. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- WCS Season 2 Finals Begin August 23
- Gamescom 2013 - Leaguepedia - Competitive League of Legends Wiki
- Gamescom and PAX schedule announcement | LoL Esports
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gamescom.|
- Official website (English) (German)
- Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware
- GDC Europe