Gamma Eridani (γ Eri, γ Eridani) is a star in the constellation Eridanus. It has the traditional name Zaurak, which means "the boat."
In Chinese, 天苑 (Tiān Yuàn), meaning Celestial Meadows, refers to an asterism consisting of γ Eridani, δ Eridani, π Eridani, ε Eridani, ζ Eridani, η Eridani, π Ceti, τ1 Eridani, τ2 Eridani, τ3 Eridani, τ4 Eridani, τ5 Eridani, τ6 Eridani, τ7 Eridani, τ8 Eridani and τ9 Eridani. Consequently, γ Eridani itself is known as 天苑一 (Tiān Yuàn yī, English: the First Star of Celestial Meadows.)
Zaurak has an apparent magnitude of +2.95 and is of spectral type M0.5IIICa-ICr -. As determined by the Hipparcos astrometry satellite, it lies at a distance of about 150 light years from Earth.
- Coordinates (equinox 2000):
USS Zaurak (AK-117) was a United States Navy Crater class cargo ship named after the star.
- ^ a b c d SIMBAD, Gamma Eridani (accessed 2012-03-20)
- ^ Star Name - R.H. Allen p. 218
- ^ (Chinese) 中國星座神話, written by 陳久金. Published by 台灣書房出版有限公司, 2005, ISBN 978-986-7332-25-7.
- ^ (Chinese) 香港太空館 - 研究資源 - 亮星中英對照表, Hong Kong Space Museum. Accessed on line November 23, 2010.
- ^ Perryman, M. A. C.; Lindegren, L.; Kovalevsky, J.; et al. (July 1997), "The Hipparcos Catalogue", Astronomy and Astrophysics 323: L49–L52, Bibcode:1997A&A...323L..49P
- ^ Perryman, Michael (2010), The Making of History's Greatest Star Map, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, doi:10.1007/978-3-642-11602-5