Gamma Rho Lambda
|Gamma Rho Lambda|
|Founded||November 20, 2003
Arizona State University, (Phoenix, Arizona)
|Mission statement||Gamma Rho Lambda National Sorority is an all-inclusive woman's social sorority exemplifying the qualities of tolerance, diversity, unity, and trust, which provides a network of assistance in the areas of scholastic guidance, emotional support, and community service while ultimately developing the lifelong bonds of sisterhood.|
████ Purple████ Black
12 active chapters
|Members||Approx. 100 Spring 2010 collegiate|
|Headquarters||PO Box 24695
Tempe, Arizona, USA
Gamma Rho Lambda, Alpha Chapter, was founded in the Fall of 2003 by 12 original members at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona. The sorority was initially created because the founding president and members wanted an organization similar to the GBTQ-focused fraternity on campus, Sigma Phi Beta.
California State University, Northridge, University of California, Los Angeles, Purdue University and SUNY Albany became colonies of Gamma Rho Lambda. University of Missouri colony disbanded from Gamma Rho Lambda to focus more on political involvement. Kansas State University gained chapter status as Delta Chapter.
The Lambda symbol was adopted by the New York City's Gay Activists' Alliance in the 1970s during the Stonewall Riots. Since then, the Lambda has spread as a symbol for the gay liberation movement. Because of its history, the Lambda was chosen to be a letter in the sorority’s Greek name. The Gamma and Rho symbols were chosen because with the Lambda symbol, they spell GRL ("girl").
Coat of arms
Visible symbols in the coat of arms include the Lioness, the Bear, the Unicorn, the Crown of Thorns, the Metal Crown, the Isle of Lesbos symbol with Shaking Hands, the Upside Down Black Triangle, the Eye of Horus, the Hand, the Sword, the Ivy Leaf Vine, the Elephant Tusk, and the Cinquefoil.
|Alpha||Tempe, Arizona||Arizona State University|
|Beta||San Diego, California||San Diego State University|
|Gamma (INACTIVE)||Statesboro, Georgia||Georgia Southern University|
|Delta||Manhattan, Kansas||Kansas State University|
|Epsilon||Northridge, California||California State University, Northridge|
|Zeta||Los Angeles, California||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Eta||West Lafayette, Indiana||Purdue University|
|Theta||Flagstaff, Arizona||Northern Arizona University|
|Iota||Albany, New York||University at Albany, SUNY|
|Kappa||Houston, Texas||University of Houston|
|Lambda||Berkeley, California||University of California, Berkeley|
|Mu||Riverside, California||University of California, Riverside|
|Nu||Muncie, Indiana||Ball State University|
|Xi||New Orleans, Louisiana||Tulane University|
|Omicron||Ames, Iowa||Iowa State University|
|Pi||Washington D.C.||American University|
|Iowa City, Iowa||University of Iowa|
- Shoyeb, Jacqueline (2004-03-09). "First Gay Sorority Recognized". The State Press. Archived from the original on 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Fielding, Sarah; Pettitt, Jessica (2008). "Fraternity & Sorority Transgender Resource Guide". Lambda 10 Project. Archived from the original on 2009-12-08. Retrieved 2009-12-08.
- Hunt, Corey (2004-03-09). "Safety a priority for rights group". Mesa Legend. Archived from the original on 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Vary, Adam E. (2004-10-12). "Rushing to Come Out". The Advocate. Retrieved 2008-03-17.
- Hauswirth, Kevin (2009-12-07). "Gay and Greek at ASU". The Advocate. Retrieved 2008-03-17.
- Graves, Seth (2007-04-23). "Heterosexism. Sexism. Racism.". Missourian. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Brown, Cindy (2008-08-20). "National All-Inclusive Sorority Founds Second Chapter". Gamma Rho Lambda. Archived from the original on 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Sanders, Molly (2009-03-26). "Senior starts new sorority, works to improve relations with other organizations". K-State Collegian. Archived from the original on 2009-12-07. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Gamma Rho Lambda. "Gamma Rho Lambda Chapters & Colonies". Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Stroup, Megan (2009-05-07). "GRL separates from national sorority to pursue activism". The Maneater. Retrieved 2009-06-24.
- Pride, Campus (2009-11-25). "LAMBDA 10 PROJECT: National LGBT & Straight-Ally Sorority Charters Fourth Chapter in U.S. on the campus of K-State". Campus Pride Blog. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Pride, Campus (2010-01-28). "National Progressive LGBT & Straight Ally Sorority Welcomes 9th Colony at Northern Arizona University". Campus Pride Blog. Retrieved 2010-02-02.
- Gamma Rho Lambda. "Gamma Rho Lambda About". Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Gamma Rho Lambda. "Gamma Rho Lambda Fact Sheet". Retrieved 2009-12-07.