|Nickname(s): Sardar Ganj|
|Elevation||27 m (89 ft)|
|• Official||Gujarati, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||0.894 ♂/♀|
|Distance from Bhuj||60 kilometres (37 mi)|
|Distance from Gandhinagar||365 kilometres (227 mi)|
Gandhidham is a city and a municipality in the Kachchh District of Gujarat state of India. The town was created in the early 1950s for the resettlement of the refugees from Sindh (now in Pakistan) in the aftermath of the partition of India. Gandhidham is an economic capital of Kachchh and it is a fast developing city in Gujarat state.
Soon after the separation of Pakistan from India in 1947, a large group of refugees from Sindh of came to India. Maharaja of Kutch His Highness Maharao Shri Vijayrajji Khengarji Jadeja] on advice of Mahatma Gandhi, gave 15,000 acres (61 km2) of land to Bhai Pratab, who founded Sindhu Resettlement Corporation to rehabilitate Sindhi Hindus uprooted from their motherland, Sindh in Pakistan
Sindhi Resettlement Corporation was formed with Acharaya Kriplani as chairman and Bhai Pratap Dialdas as managing director. The main objective of the corporation was to assist in the rehousing of displaced persons by the construction of new township. The first plan was prepared by a team of planners headed by Dr. O. H. Koenigsberger, director of the division of housing in Government of India. Subsequently plan was revised by Adams Howard and Greeley Company in 1952. The foundation stone of town was laid with blessings of Gandhi earlier in 1947 and hence town was named Gandhidham.
It is said that it was barren land with snakes and scorpions so numerous, Bhai Pratap had to offer compensation 25 paise to kill a scorpion and 50 paise to kill a snake in this area. The first plan envisaged 400,000 as ultimate population of town, expecting half of it would reach in mid seventies. Revised plan envisaged three stages of town development with mid stage lasting longer with population around 150000.
Geography and climate
Gandhidham is located at latitude 23.08° N longitude 70.13° E. The main city is constructed in accordance to the principles of Vastu-shastra(Indian belief of construction)i.e. the main city is having its face directed to East.Summers are hot and dry and frequently the temperature touches 45 °C (113 °F) and in winters it falls to 3 °C (37 °F) accompanied by cold waves.
|Climate data for Maiduguri|
|Average high °C (°F)||26.8
|Daily mean °C (°F)||18.2
|Average low °C (°F)||9.7
|Precipitation mm (inches)||2
|Source: Climate-Data.org (altitude: 19m)|
Gandhidham has several schools providing high school education. Gandhidham's first English Medium school is
Schools in the area include
- D.A.V. Public School
- Bachpan Pre-School
- P.N. Amersey High School
- Small Wonder School
- Delhi Public School
- Ananda Marga Primary school in Sector-7 and
- Ananda Marga High School in DC-2, Rambaug road (English Medium)
the other schools are
- Mount Carmel High School
- Delhi Public High School(D.P.S)
- Kakubhai Parikh School(K.P.S)
- Saint Xaviers at Adipur
- Kendriya Vidyalaya at IFFCO colony
- Kendriya Vidyalaya at Railway colony
- Aum Vidiya Mandir at IFFCO colony
- Sadhu Vaswani International School
- Amarchand Singhvi School
and Hindi Medium Schools are
- Dr. C.G. High School and
- Adarsh Mahavidhyalaya is first and oldest school situated in the heart of the city.
For professional courses like Chartered Accountancy & Cost & Management Accountancy the national professional accounting body of India like Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and Institute of Cost Accountants of India have opened an examination centre at Gandhidham.
College and graduation
Colleges for graduation and higher studies are Tolani college of Science & Arts, Tolani Commerce College, Pharmacy college and Diploma in Engineering, Management Institute situated nearby in Adipur .DNV International Educational College is situated in Bharatnagar,courses provided are BCA and BBA.
Gandhidham is connected by road and rail to the rest of India. Transport Nagar, on the outskirts of Gandhidham is the hub of all major transport activity. There are trains to, Allahabad, Varanasi, Kanpur, Agra, Lucknow, Faizabad, Patna, Jodhpur, Ajmer, Alwar, Abu Road, Jaipur, Mumbai, Vadodara, Surat, Yesvantpur, Kalyan, Bhiwandi, Pune, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Indore, Bangalore, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Kollam, Kota, Delhi, Durg, Guwahati, Puri, Chengannur, Jalgaon, Bhusaval, Raipur Vizag Nagercoil and several other cities. Many private companies operate bus services to major cities in Gujarat like Ahmedabad and Rajkot. India's largest port, Kandla is around 11 km from the city. Gandhidham also has its own airport called Kandla Airport or Galphadar Airport which is located six kilometers north of Gandhidham.Jet Airways used to operate the sole daily flight to Mumbai from Kandla airport before it ceased operations in 2012.
|Train No.||Train Name||Runs From Source||Destination||Departure Days||Arrival Days|
|16505-16506||Gimb Sbc Express||Gandhidham||Bangalore||Tuesday||Monday|
|14312-14311 Via Ahmedabad & 14322-14321 Via Bhildi||Ala Hazrat Express||Bhuj||Bareilly||Tuesday,Thursday & Sunday For 14312. Monday,Wednesday,Friday & Saturday For 14322||Friday,Saturday,Monday For 14311.Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday & Sunday For 14321|
|22829-22830||Bhuj - Shalimar Superfast Express||Bhuj||Shalimar||Tuesday||Monday|
|22904-22903||Bandra Terminus Bhuj AC Superfast Express||Bhuj||Bandra||Monday,Thursday,Saturday||Thurday,Saturday,Monday|
|12937-12938||Garbha Superfast Express||Gandhidham||Howrah||Saturday||Wednesday|
|12960-12959||Bhuj Dadar Superfast Express||Bhuj||Dadar||Monday,Thursday||Wednesday,Saturday|
|14802-14801||Gandhidham Jodhpur Express||Gandhidham||Jodhpur||Monday,Wednesday,Saturday||Monday,Wednesday,Saturday|
- "Bhai Pratap". The Sindhu Resettlement Corporation, Gandhidham, India. p. 1. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-09-28. "To clean the desert where it was built, Bhai Pratap gave incentive of 25 paise to kill scorpions and 50 paise to kill snakes"
- "Climate: Gandhidham - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 2013-12-4.
- "Air Deccan connects yet another unconnected sector – brings Kandla into the aviation map". Peanuts! Online. 4 October 2006. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Kripalani, J. B. 1951. Gandhidham. Bombay: [Mangharam N. Thadani for the Sindhu Resettlement Corp.]
- Adams, Howard & Greely. 1952. Report on a revised plan for the town and region of Gandhidham, Kutch India, prepared for the Government of India Ministry of Transport, and the United States Department of State. [Boston: Adams, Howard & Greely].
- Kandla Special Economic Zone
- Kandla Port Trust
- Arya Samaj, Gandhidham
- Tolani Foundation
- KutchForever.com - The First Internet Gateway of Kutch
- Sindhu Resettlement Corporation Limited (SRC Limited), Adipur
- Lions Club of Gandhidham Official website of Lions club of Gandhidham, India