Gangstar Rio: City of Saints
|Gangstar Rio: City of Saints|
App icon on iTunes
|Distributor(s)||App Store (Android)|
Gangstar Rio: City of Saints is an open world action-adventure video game developed by Gameloft for Android, iOS (both iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad) and Java ME. It is the fourth Gangstar game. It was released on November 10, 2011. Gangstar Rio: City of Saints is preceded by Gangstar: Miami Vindication.
Gangstar Rio: City of Saints is set in modern day Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The story revolves around Assassianos gang member Raul. After attempting to leave the gang with his girlfriend Ana, a car bomb seriously injures Raul and kills Ana. The story focuses mainly on Raul's attempts to find the Ana's killer. Like games in the Grand Theft Auto series, Gangstar Rio has elements from driving games and third-person shooters, and features "open-world" gameplay that gives the player more control over their playing experience.
Raul Nascimento, a high-ranking member of the Assassianos, has just decided he has had enough of gang life. He wants to leave the gang and live a peaceful life with his girlfriend, Ana. But just after his retirement from his gang, a car bomb injures Raul, destroying his face and killing Ana. He wakes up after three months at the house of a stripper named Larissa with a new face, the result of plastic surgery. Larissa then tells him that she saved his life by calling a doctor after the explosion. After learning that Ana is dead, Raul has renamed himself "Angel". He is now filled with hate and heads out to seek revenge for Ana's death.
Angel rejoins the Assassinos with no one recognizing him as Raul due to the facial changes, in the hope of finding new information on the car bomb. After he goes on a mission to defend a drug stash, he found out that Andreas, the leader of Assassinos, was killed in a drive-by. Marcello was chosen as the new leader. Angel later discovers in a police surveillance van that Marcello and Ana, who was actually not killed, were together behind his back all the time. He also found out that Marcello detonated the bomb rigged on his car, and Ana killed Andreas in the drive-by. He passed the surveillance tape out to all the members of Assassinos, then used that as proof to kill Marcello while he was making his speech. Angel was chosen leader this time. Angel eventually tracks down Ana, who was hiding in one of the hangars at the airport, taking Larissa hostage. He calls Fumo to meet him at the airport, and Fumo brought an Assassinos' tank with him. The two of them fought their way to the hangar with the tank where Ana is hiding. They kill all of her guards and free Larissa. Angel then executes Ana. After they leave the hangar, Angel claims that the Assassinos will 'Take the damn city back.'
Gangstar Rio: City of Saints is set in a downscaled, stylized version of Rio de Janeiro. There are seven districts in the city. They are:
Beaches - The most affluent and southernmost area of Rio. Beaches is a largely residential district that contains many landmarks. As the name suggests, this is where most of the beaches in the game are found. This district is based on the real life South and Southwest Zones. In this district there are 2 safe houses, one being in a penthouse apartment and the other on a private boat. Also in this district are 2 clothing stores, 2 gun shops, 2 repair shops, and 1 Copy Cat Cars dealership. In addition, there is a morgue, cemetery, and the SugarLoaf mountain, all with repeatable missions. The white villa located in the beaches serves as the main headquarters for the Disciples gang, who are prepared to fire upon any Assassiano on sight. The public park behind the villa is also infested with Disciples.
Jungles - A park district of Rio, Jungles is a tourist district that's main landmark is the Cristo Redentor with a soccer ball on his chest. This district is based on the real life Tijuca Forest National Park There are no safehouses, clothing stores, gun shops, repair shops, car dealerships, or repeatable missions in this area.
Favelas - Contained within the Jungles district, a dense, deprived neighbourhood that is the main residence of the Assassianos gang. There is one safe house in this zone, located in one of the favelas. This is the smallest and worst maintained of the safehouses. There is also a fully realized drug lab in this zone.
Housing projects - A dense, deprived neighbourhood that is the main residence of the Syndicate gang. This district is part of the real life Northwest Zone. There are no safehouses, clothing stores, gun shops, repair shops, car dealerships, or repeatable missions in this area. It is advisable to stay out of this area as Syndicates are protective of their territory and will shoot at any Assassiano on sight.
Industrial - A deprived neighbourhood that is the headquarters of the Syndicate gang. Based on the real life Northwest Zone.
Business - Based on the real life Centro.
Islands - Contain a battleship, military base, and a church. There is one repeatable mission on the battleship.
- Raul "Angel" Nascimento, the player character in the game, boyfriend of Ana and elite member of the Assassinos. After the car bombing that almost took his life, he changes his name to Angel and seeks to avenge his girlfriend's supposed death.
- Larissa Santos, a local stripper who helped Angel get his revenge. She came to Rio in the hope of becoming the next supermodel, but ends up failing.
- Ana, Raul's girlfriend. She claims to be "more of a man than Raul will ever be". She attempted to kill Raul with a car bomb and had an affair with Marcello after she bombed Raul's car, but was executed by Angel.
- Andreas, the leader of the Assassinos who gives Angel missions, until he was killed at the start of the game.
- Marcello, Andreas' right-hand man. He became leader of the Assassinos after Andreas died and was with Ana after she feigned her death.
- Fumo, Raul's friend and a gangmember of the Assasinos. He helps him in many missions.
- Narco, one of the drug dealers. He dies on a mission.
- Gianna Magro, used to be a D.I.C.S. drug police but then turned against them. She also hires you for many missions
- Jessica Madeiros, gives Angel missions throughout the game around her ex-husband (trying to kill him).
- Gabriel Alvarez, a drug department policeman who gives Angel missions.
- Councilman Peralta, A corrupt politician who is hated by Raul. Madeiros hires Raul to make Peralta look bad during his campaign against Branco.
- Pilar, Larissa Santos' friend, and Vilanova's girlfriend. She later hired Raul and Fumo to kill Vilanova after he cheated on her.
- Vilanova, A movie director who hires Raul to be a stunt double in his awful movies. He is later killed by Raul and Fumo.
- Victor Matos, the leader of the Disciples.
- Governor Branco, Jessica Madeiros' boss. He runs for Mayor against Peralta
- Veronica Davo, the leader of the Syndicate.
- Jaime Davo, the brother of Veronica Davo, a member of the Syndicate. Raul beat him up before the car explosion.
- Venancio, was a member of the Syndicate who was killed by Angel in the beach.
- Orlan, was a member of the Disciples. Angel and Narco killed him near a sex store.
The game received mixed to positive reviews upon release, earning a score of 67 out of 100 at Metacritic. The graphical improvements over the previous game was praised, although it was criticised for its voice acting and storyline.
- Gangstar: Crime City
- Gangstar 2: Kings of L.A.
- Gangstar: West Coast Hustle
- Gangstar: Miami Vindication
- Grand Theft Auto clone
- Gangstar Rio: City of Saints
- "Gangstar Rio: City of Saints Review". Slide To Play. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- "Gangstar Rio: City of Saints - Android Apps on Google Play". Google Play Store. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Gangstar Rio: City of Saints for iPhone/iPad Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Gangstar Rio: City of Saints Review". Touch Arcade. Retrieved 15 March 2013.