|Single by Fatboy Slim|
|from the album You've Come a Long Way, Baby|
|Released||5 October 1998|
|Genre||Big beat, nu-funk, alternative hip hop|
|Fatboy Slim singles chronology|
"Gangster Tripping" (released as a single under the name "Gangster Trippin") is a song by British big beat musician Fatboy Slim. It was released in October 1998 as the second single from his album You've Come a Long Way, Baby.
The song contains samples from "Entropy" by DJ Shadow, "Word Play" and "The Turntablist Anthem" by the X-Ecutioners, "Beat Box Wash" by the Dust Junkys (this track contains the song's chorus line), and "You Did It" by Anne Robinson. In the radio cut, the verse "We gotta kick that gangsta shit" was re-edited for censorship purposes. The song was featured on the 2006 PlayStation Portable game Lumines II and the 1999 film Go. The single peaked at No. 3 in the UK and No. 49 in Switzerland.
- "Gangster Trippin"
- "The World Went Down"
- "Jack It Up (DJ Delite)"
The music video for "Gangster Trippin", directed by Roman Coppola, consists simply of scenes of furniture sets exploding, shown from multiple angles, and often in slow-motion. Fatboy Slim himself makes a cameo in the video, being shown on a photograph on the mirror where a lady stands up from. According to MTV at the time, the script for the video contained just one line: "Blow stuff up".
The video shows certain similarities to the ending of Antonioni's Zabriskie Point where several pieces of furniture are blown up similarly in slow motion and from different angles. Director Coppola often praised the works of Antonioni in interviews.
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||6|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||98|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||68|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||32|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||49|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||3|
- Making of 'Fatboy Slim - Gangster Trippin' in Ableton by Sonic Academy
- WhoSampled - Discover Fatboy Slim's Sample-Based Music and Cover Songs
- "Gangster Trippin" samples: "You Did It" by Anne Robinson
- "BBC - Films - interview - Roman Coppola". BBC.
- "My '60s European Movie - One Q, One A with Roman Coppola". TheStranger.
- "Fatboy Slim: Gangster Trippin" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Chartverfulgong > Fatboy Slim > Gangster Trippin – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Irish Singles Chart – Search for song". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Indice per Interprete: F". Hit Parade Italia. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Fatboy Slim – Gangster Trippin" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Fatboy Slim – Gangster Trippin". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Fatboy Slim – Gangster Trippin". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Fatboy Slim – Gangster Trippin". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 1998-10-17" UK Singles Chart.
|This 1990s single–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|