|Type||Privately held company|
|Headquarters||Chicago, United States|
|Key people||Andrew Huff|
Gapers Block (Gapers Block Media, LLC) is a Chicago-centric web publication focused on covering Chicago culture under the tag line: "Slow down and check out Chicago". The site, gapersblock.com, lists local events, aggregates other Chicago blogs and news of local interest and features many topical blogs: A/C (arts and culture), Drive-Thru (food related), Transmission (local music), Mechanics (state and local politics), Tailgate (sports coverage), and Book Club (book club and literary scene coverage).
Conceived in 2003 by Andrew Huff and Naz Hamid, the stuck-in-traffic themed section names, such as Merge (blog, links aggregation), Slowdown (calendar event listings), and Rearview (noteworthy local photos), are inspired by the Chicago-coined term, "gapers' block", a synonym (with "gapers' delay") for rubbernecking. The site was the first city blog in Chicago and one of the earliest examples of the genre; Gothamist and the Metroblogging network were also founded in 2003.
The site is written by volunteers from various backgrounds and professions.
Accreditations and awards
- It was named a "Forbes Favorite" in Forbes.com's Best of the Web directory, in the category "Best City Blogs."
- Web design site, Typesites credits Gapers Block’s aesthetics, “well-crafted layout” and noteworthy typography.
- Chicago Community Trust awarded Gapers Block $35,000 in an effort to boost new sources of local news and information and “increase the amount of neighborhood-based, original local coverage ... with priority given to stories about underserved communities and issues that affect them.”
- The Chicago Sun-Times in 2009 named the Gapers Block Book Club the #2 best way to find romance in Chicago.
- Gapers Block Editor and publisher, Andrew Huff was listed in Crain’s Chicago Business’s “40 Under 40” in 2009.
- The site was named Best Local Blog in the Chicago Reader's "Best of Chicago" poll in 2013 and 2014.
Notable contributors and alumni
- Anne Elizabeth Moore, freelance journalist, artist, and author
- Nilay Patel, managing editor of The Verge
- Gapers Block - Chicago news, reviews & commentary
- "One Good Meal archives". Gapersblock.com. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Cooper, Cinnamon (2010). The Everything Cast Iron Cookbook. United States: Adams Media. p. 304. ISBN 1440502250.
- "Gapers Block", Forbes, Web Site Reviews, accessed May 31, 2010.
- gapers block | Typesites
- The Chicago Community Trust Announces Community News Matters Award Recipients - Knight Foundation
- http://www.suntimes.com/-1,romance-places-092509g.photogallery?index=2[dead link]
- 40 Under 40: 2009 | Crain's Chicago Business
- Chicago Reader - Best of Chicago 2013 - Best Local Blog Accessed Sept. 5, 2013.
- Chicago Reader - Best of Chicago 2014 - Best Local Blog Accessed June 25, 2014.