Masala (2013 film)
|Directed by||K. Vijaya Bhaskar |
|Produced by||Daggubati Suresh Babu
Sravanthi Ravi Kishore
|Story by||Rohit Shetty|
|Music by||S. Thaman|
|Running time||140 mins|
|Budget||35 crore (US$5.8 million)|
|Box office||55 crore (US$9.1 million)|
Masala (English: Mixture of Spices) is a 2013 Telugu film directed by K. Vijaya Bhaskar and jointly produced by Daggubati Suresh Babu and Sravanthi Ravi Kishore. It is a remake of the 2012 Hindi film Bol Bachchan and Venkatesh and Ram Pothineni reprised the roles of Ajay Devgan and Abhishek Bachchan respectively. The film released worldwide on November 14, 2013. Upon release, the film received positive reviews from critics albeit the lead actors and the comedians' performances were appreciated.The film declared 'Blockbuster' at the box office
- Venkatesh as Balaram
- Ram as Ram / Rehaman
- Anjali as Sania / Sarita
- Shazahn Padamsee as Meenakshi
- Jaya Prakash Reddy as Eddulodu
- M. S. Narayana as Musalodu
- Kovai Sarala as Anjali Devi / Chintamani
- Ali as Suri
- Posani Krishna Murali as Nagaraju
The film had its formal pooja ceremony on March 13, 2013 at Ramanaidu Studios in Hyderabad. The event had the crew of the film in full attendance and Ram clapped for the muhurat shot. Since Venkatesh was out of town and he couldn't attend the film's launch. Though Initially it was named "Garam Masala", it was officially renamed as "Gol Maal", which was confirmed by the Producers. Later on the titles "Ram - Balaram" and "Masala" were considered. Finally, the title was confirmed as "Masala" after the first look poster was released in September 2013.
Venkatesh and Ram were the first persons who were signed for this film in 2012. This film marks the third collaboration of Venkatesh with Vijaya Bhaskar after Nuvvu Naaku Nachav and Malliswari. Venkatesh would sport a twirled moustache in the same way which he was last seen in Gautham Menon's Gharshana. Later Anjali and Shazahn Padamsee were roped to play the siblings of Ram and Venkatesh in the film respectively. This film marked the second film of Anjali with Venkatesh after Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu, which was also a multistarrer film. It also marked the second film of Bollywood Actress Shazahn Padamsee after the 2010 film Orange. During the Thai Schedule of the film, Ram learnt Muay Thai, a famous boxing technique in Thailand. Jaya Prakash Reddy, Ali, M. S. Narayana and Kovai Sarala were roped in to play important roles in the film.
The film’s first schedule was held in Hyderabad and few scenes were shot on Ram and Anjali. Late it was reported in the end of March that After a major schedule in Bangalore, the film will also be shot in Panchgani, near Pune. Later, Anjali, who couldn’t join the film unit in Bangalore after she went missing, had promised to join the film’s shooting in Panchgani. During the shoot, Rohit Shetty, the director of Bol Bachchan visited the sets and wished the team for the movie's success. In June, a fight sequence was canned on Venkatesh and Ram at Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad amidst the principal star crew's presence. In July, the complete talkie portion was shot and it was reported that only two songs were left to shot. Later a song on Ram and Shahzan Padamsee was shot at Thailand. A song on Venkatesh and Anjali was planned to be shot in Japan from September 3, 2013. The song was shot at Hokkaido, the second largest island in Japan. The title song was shot in October in which Venkatesh, Ram, Jayaprakash Reddy, Kovai Sarala and Ali took part in the shoot thus wrapping the film's shoot.
AustraliaTelugu bagged the overseas rights for screening in Australia and New Zealand. The film was awarded a clean 'U' certificate by The Central Board of Film Certification on November 7, 2013. The film is slated for a worldwide theatrical release on November 14, 2013 to 1000 screens.
The film received positive reviews on an average. 123telugu.com gave a review stating "Masala has a few good moments. Venkatesh and Ram have tried their best to carry the film with their comedy timing. But a stale plot and outdated screenplay hamper their efforts. Any Masala gets a perfect flavour and taste only when the ingredients are blended in the right proportions. Sadly, that is not the case with this Masala" and rated the film 2.75/5. TeluguOne.com gave a review stating "The movie is a worth watching for its comedy. cheerfully cheesy jokes made audience glued to their seats. Vijay Bhaskar has inserted funny and buttler English in what ever the areas possible. The movie is a must watch for comedy lovers. Masala is a worth watching for all the comedy lovers" and rated the film 3.25/5. Times of AP gave a review stating "Overall, an okay film. Nice enjoyable movie. As comedy plays a major role especially for Telugu audience, this film will get pass marks. It will run with good openings and may continue to certain extent until another big movie comes for competition. Masala is a worth watching for all the comedy lovers" and rated the film 3.25/5. way2movies.com gave a review stating "Masala had several clichés with confusion dramas that were seen in recent comedy releases, yet the screenplay packed with entertainment and silly gags works for the movie. Venkatesh, Ram’s performances, Anil Ravipudi’s dialogues and entertaining scenes are assets for the film while actions scenes, poor VFX works and weak climax are the negative points. Masala is decent enough to entertain comedy film lovers, provided you don’t look for logic." gulte.com gave a review stating "Masala is a complete commercial formulaic film that sticks to the genre. It is more of a comedy entertainer with a touch of action. In a nutshell, Masala is for comedy movie lovers that don't care about the logics and other nuances of cinema. Content wise it is an average film and can be watched once for Venkatesh and Ram. It has enough to stay afloat at the box office and we have to wait and see if it can swim across to a safe zone or not" and rated the film 3/5 terming it a "Time pass 'Masala' fare!". Zopcorn gave a qualitative rating to the film "I have free time".
|Soundtrack album To Masala by S. Thaman|
|Released||October 13, 2013|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|S. Thaman chronology|
S. Thaman composed the Music. The audio of this film was released on October 13, 2013 in Hyderabad on Aditya Music. The Music received positive response from both critics and audience alike. All lyrics written by Krishna Chaitanya.
|1.||"Ninu Choodani"||Ranjith, Shreya Ghoshal||04:56|
|2.||"Kotlallo Okkaday"||Shankar Mahadevan||04:04|
|3.||"Meenakshi Meenakshi"||Suchith Suresan, M. M. Manasi||03:42|
|4.||"Acharey Acharey"||Ranjith, Bindu||04:02|
|5.||"Masala (Remix)"||Rahul Nambiar, Naveen Madhav, Bindu||02:26|
- "Masala Review : Xerox copy of Bol Bachchan". Filmcircle.com. Retrieved 2013.
- "Venky-Ram's Masala on November 14". The Hans India. Retrieved Oct 23, 2013.
- "Bol Bachchan’s remake to go on floors soon". 123telugu.com. Retrieved March 9, 2013.
- "Venky, Ram busy with Bol Bachchan remake". timesofindia. indiatimes.com. April 7, 2013. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "'Masala' Review Roundup: Venkatesh, Ram, JP's performances Make it Watchable". IBTimes India. Retrieved Nov 15, 2013.
- "Bol Bachchan Telugu remake rolls out". The Times of India. Retrieved Mar 14, 2013.
- "Golmaal confirmed for Venky – Ram’s film". 123telugu.com. Retrieved May 28, 2013.
- "Ram – Balaram for Venky – Ram’s film?". 123telugu.com. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "Masala for Venky – Ram film?". 123telugu.com. Retrieved August 5, 2013.
- "Masala first look poster out". The Times of India. Retrieved September 25, 2013.
- "Venkatesh & Ram in Bol Bachchan remake?". way2movies.com. Retrieved October 25, 2012.
- "Twirled moustache for Venkatesh in `Bol Bachchan` remake". Zee News. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- "Actress Anjali to star in Tollywood remake of 'Bol Bachchan'". IBNLive. Retrieved Mar 26, 2013.
- "Venkatesh to romance Anjali again?". way2movies.com. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- "Shazahn in ‘Bol Bachchan’ Telugu remake". The Hindu. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- "Ram impresses Thai boxing coach". 123telugu.com. Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "It was fun galore for Rohit Shetty on 'Bol Bachchan' remake set". midday.com. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- "Bol Bachchan remake’s second schedule begins". 123telugu.com. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "Venkatesh, Ram head to Panchgani". 123telugu.com. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Bollywood director Rohit Shetty visits 'Garam Masala' sets". IBN Live. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "Venkatesh – Ram fight at RFC". 123telugu.com. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Venkaresh, Ramâ€™s Golmaal left with two songs". The Times of India. Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- "Ram-Venkatesh's Golmaal progressing briskly". The Times of India. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- "Venky – Anjali heading to Japan". 123telugu.com. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- "Masala: Humour despite twirling moustache". The Hindu. Retrieved Oct 5, 2013.
- "‘Masala’ title song being shot now". 123telugu.com. Retrieved Oct 20, 2013.
- "Masala gets a clean U". 123telugu.com. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "Masala movie to release on Nov 14". The Times of India. Retrieved Oct 22, 2013.
- "Review : Masala – Doesn’t have the right flavour". 123telugu.com. Retrieved Nov 14, 2013.
- "Masala Telugu Movie Review". TeluguOne. Retrieved Nov 14, 2013.
- "Masala Telugu Movie Review". Times of AP. Retrieved Nov 14, 2013.
- "Masala Telugu movie review". way2movies.com. Retrieved Nov 14, 2013.
- "Masala Movie Review". gulte.com. Retrieved Nov 14, 2013.
- "Masala Movie Review". zopcorn.com. Retrieved Nov 22, 2013.
- "Venkatesh, Ram, Masala audio on Oct 13". The Times of India. Retrieved Oct 2, 2013.
- "Masala audio gets good response". Cinecorn.com. Retrieved Oct 24, 2013.