Garcia Live Volume Two
|Garcia Live Volume Two|
|Live album by Jerry Garcia Band|
|Released||June 25, 2013|
|Recorded||August 5, 1990|
|Genre||Rock, rhythm and blues|
|Jerry Garcia Band chronology|
|Jerry Garcia chronology|
Garcia Live Volume Two is an album by the Jerry Garcia Band. It was recorded live on August 5, 1990, at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, California. It was released by ATO Records on June 25, 2013, in two formats — as a two-disc CD, and as a digital download.
The lineup of the Jerry Garcia Band for this concert — and for most of the band's shows from 1985 to 1995 — was Jerry Garcia on guitar and vocals, Melvin Seals on keyboards, John Kahn on bass, David Kemper on drums, and Jaclyn LaBranch and Gloria Jones on background vocals. Béla Fleck sat in on banjo for the first two songs of the second set.
Rosebud, one of Garcia's guitars, is depicted on the album cover.
On Allmusic, Fred Thomas said, "Though it was recorded a full decade after the first installment of this Dick's Picks-like concert archive series, Vol. 2 shares a lot of the same songs from the set list of Vol. 1.... though the feel of the set is far more jammy, summery, and laid-back than Vol. 1, which was bluesy and amped by relative Garcia standards. The protracted and stumbly vibe of the set presented here evokes the archetypal languid outdoor concert energy that the Grateful Dead all but defined in their endless touring, and Garcia's takes on roots rock classics by The Band, Van Morrison, and later-period Dylan help capture the stoned summertime musical snapshot all the more. What truly sets this volume apart from its predecessor is the guest spot by banjo virtuoso Béla Fleck on two songs..."
- First set:
- "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" (Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland) – 7:33
- "Stop That Train" (Peter Tosh) – 6:47
- "Forever Young" (Bob Dylan) – 7:20
- "Run for the Roses" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 5:50
- "That's What Love Will Make You Do" (James Banks, Eddie Marion, Henderson Thigpen) – 8:06
- "My Sisters and Brothers" (Charles Johnson) – 4:15
- "Tears of Rage" (Richard Manuel, Dylan) – 8:16
- "Deal" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:34
- Second set:
- "Midnight Moonlight" (Peter Rowan) – 7:26
- "The Harder They Come" (Jimmy Cliff) – 10:46
- "And It Stoned Me" (Van Morrison) – 6:21
- "Waiting for a Miracle" (Bruce Cockburn) – 6:43
- "Evangeline" (David Hidalgo, Louie Pérez) – 4:22
- "Think" (Jimmy McCracklin, Deadric Malone) – 7:01
- "That Lucky Old Sun" (Beasley Smith, Haven Gillespie) – 8:22
- "Tangled Up in Blue" (Dylan) – 11:19
Jerry Garcia Band
- Jerry Garcia – guitar, vocals
- Melvin Seals – keyboards
- John Kahn – bass
- David Kemper – drums
- Jaclyn LaBranch – vocals
- Gloria Jones – vocals
- Produced for release by Marc Allan, Joe Gastwirt
- Original recordings produced by Jerry Garcia
- Executive producer: Coran Capshaw
- Recording, engineering: John Cutler
- Mastering: Joe Gastwirt
- Art direction, design, illustration: Ryan Corey
- Photography: Susana Millman
- Bernstein, Scott (May 3, 2013). "GarciaLive Vol. 2: New Jerry Garcia Band Live Archival Release from Greek '90 Features Guest Spot from Bela Fleck", Glide magazine. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- "Jerry Garcia Band Show with Bela Fleck Sit Ins to Be Released as GarciaLive Vol. 2", Jambands.com, May 3, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- "Rumored GarciaLive Volume Two: August 5th, 1990 with Bela Fleck Is Confirmed", Relix, May 16, 2013. Retrieved May 17, 2013.
- Garcia Live Volume Two at the Grateful Dead Family Discography. Retrieved May 16, 2013.
- Thomas, Fred. Garcia Live Volume Two at Allmusic. Retrieved August 12, 2013.