Gardein (a portmanteau of garden and protein) is a product line of animal meat-free foods made by Garden Protein International in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada. Gardein founder Yves Potvin created the first veggie dog in the 1980s Gardein is available at grocery stores and restaurants across the United States, Canada and other places internationally.
Awards and accolades
In 2013, FoodNavigatorusa.com included Gardein's founder, Yves Potvin, in their top 10 entrepreneurs to watch. Gardein was awarded 4 Canadian Grand Prix 'New Product' awards, 'New Product' awards from Veg News Magazine three years in a row (2010, 2011 & 2012), the 'Good Food Award' by Natural Health Magazine in 2011 and the Seven Grain Crispy Tenders won Shape Magazine's 'Best Snack' award in 2010.
Gardein has been featured on The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, in Chef Tal Ronnen's bestselling vegan cookbook, The Conscious Cook, and on talk shows in the United States and Canada.
- "Entrepreneurs to watch: 10 movers & shakers in US food & beverage". Foodnavigator-usa.com. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Gardein Earns "Three-Peat" with Coveted Canadian Grand Prix New Product Awards™". Newswire.ca. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "The 2012 Veggie Awards". Vegnews.com. 2012-12-03. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Low-Calorie Snacks|Shape Magazine". Shape.com. 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Gardein Chick'n Scaloppini". Oprah.com. 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Chef Tal Ronnen Teaches Ellen His Gardein Meatless Stew Recipe(01/12/10)". YouTube. 2010-06-05. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- Tal Ronnen. "gardein “chicken” scaloppini with shiitake sake sauce, braised pea shoots, and crispy udon noodle cakes : Recipe : The Conscious Cook". Talronnen.com. Retrieved 2013-10-16.