Computer rendering of the planned bridge, created by engineers Arup
|Total length||367 metres (1,204 ft)|
|Width||30 metres (98 ft)|
|Construction cost||£175 million (sources vary)|
|Preceded by||Waterloo Bridge|
|Followed by||Blackfriars Bridge|
Garden Bridge is a planned pedestrian bridge over the River Thames in London, England. Conceived by the actress Joanna Lumley in 1998 and designed by Thomas Heatherwick, working with Arup, on a commission from Transport for London, it is planned to feature trees and gardens. The bridge is planned to be 367 metres (1,204 ft) long and 30 metres (98 ft) across at its widest point, and it would run from near Temple station as a continuation of Arundel Street on the north bank to near the Southbank Centre.
The Garden Bridge Trust was launched on 1 November 2013 to oversee the project; it is located at the National Theatre (overlooking the planned site). Lord Davies of Abersoch is the trust's chairman, and horticulturalist Dan Pearson has been engaged to arrange the planting.
As of July 2014[update], the cost of the bridge has risen to £175 million, with £30m pledged by Mayor of London Boris Johnson and £30m pledged by HM Treasury. The full planning application for the project was submitted on 30 May 2014, and it is intended, subject to receiving planning permission and raising the necessary funds, the bridge will be completed by 2018.
- "The hanging garden of London: funding drive begins for UK’s first 'floating paradise' bridge - Home News - UK - The Independent". The Independent. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- "Thomas Heatherwick Designs Garden Bridge Over The Thames". Architizer. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "The Unstoppable Thomas Heatherwick". The Culture Show. 31 July 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037tmh6. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- O'Ceallaigh, John (14 June 2013). "A 'Garden Bridge' across the Thames - Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "The Garden Bridge by Heatherwick Studio". I Like Architecture. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Views sought on River Thames garden bridge". BBC News. 1 November 2013. Retrieved 2 November 2013.
- Wainwright, Oliver (24 June 2014). "London's Garden bridge: 'It feels like we're trying to pull off a crime'". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "14/02792/FUL". Lambeth Council. 30 May 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.