Garden City, Colorado
|Town of Garden City, Colorado|
|Weld County and the state of Colorado|
|Incorporated (town)||September 14, 1936|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,695 ft (1,431 m)|
|• Density||3,570/sq mi (1,190/km2)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0180637|
The Town of Garden City is a Statutory Town located in Weld County, Colorado, United States. The population was 357 at the 2000 census. With a total area less than one square mile, it is entirely surrounded by the cities of Greeley, Colorado and Evans, Colorado.
Garden City is located at .(40.394766, -104.688634)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 357 people, 130 households, and 79 families residing in the town. The population density was 3,154.5 people per square mile (1,253.1/km²). There were 138 housing units at an average density of 1,219.4 per square mile (484.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 46.50% White, 2.52% Native American, 1.68% Asian, 47.62% from other races, and 1.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 68.35% of the population.
There were 130 households out of which 32.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.1% were married couples living together, 14.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.5% were non-families. 23.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 21.6% from 18 to 24, 32.5% from 25 to 44, 11.8% from 45 to 64, and 6.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 25 years. For every 100 females there were 125.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 131.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $21,875, and the median income for a family was $24,722. Males had a median income of $21,563 versus $16,250 for females. The per capita income for the town was $8,646. About 16.7% of families and 23.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.2% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2008)|
Garden City was founded in 1935 as a base for saloons and liquor stores serving residents of nearby Greeley, which was then a dry city.
Garden City is within Weld County School District Six. As of 2008 residents are zoned to Jackson Elementary School, Brentwood Middle School, and Greeley Central High School. All of the schools assigned to Garden City are in Greeley.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "District 6 Elementary School Boundaries." Weld County School District Six. Retrieved on December 10, 2008.
- "District 6 Middle School Boundaries." Weld County School District Six. Retrieved on December 10, 2008.
- "District 6 High School Boundaries." Weld County School District Six. Retrieved on December 10, 2008.