Garden City (LIRR station)
The two station houses of Garden City's Long Island Rail Road Station, looking east.
Garden City, New York
|Connections||Nassau Inter-County Express: n40/n41|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Bicycle facilities||Bike Rack|
|Electrified||May 26, 1908
750V (DC) third rail
Garden City is one of five stations of the Long Island Rail Road that serves the Village of Garden City, New York. It is on the Hempstead Branch and is located at Seventh Street between Hilton and Cathedral Avenues, directly across the street from the Garden City Hotel. It is one of the few Long Island Rail Road stations with two station houses. Garden City Station was originally built in 1872 by the Central Railroad of Long Island, then rebuilt in 1898 by the LIRR. A pedestrian tunnel was added in 1915, and a removal of the eyebrow porch windows on the roof of the station house before 1918. High-level platforms were added sometime during the 1970s and a major restoration project took place in the early-21st Century.
Besides standing in the shadow of the Garden City Hotel, Garden City station is also located next to the Garden City Public Library. The station has residential parking on both sides of the tracks on 6th and 7th Streets, as well as unrestricted free parking at nearby Stewart Avenue between Hilton & Franklin Avenues, and free parking during off-peak hours along 6th Street near Cathedral Avenue.
Platforms and tracks
|1||■Hempstead Branch||toward New York (Nassau Boulevard)|
|2||■Hempstead Branch||toward Hempstead (Country Life Press)|
The station has two high-level side platforms, each 10 cars long. The north platform, next to Track 1, is generally used by westbound or New York City-bound trains. The south platform, next to Track 2, is generally used by eastbound or Hempstead-bound trains. There are two tracks here.
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- Bob Emery Hempstead Branch to Garden City Map; 1959 (TrainsAreFun.com)
- Media related to Garden City (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Garden City
- Station timetable for Garden City
- Garden City Station History (Arrt's Arrchives)
- Unofficial Long Island Railroad History Website
- Station House from Google Maps Street View
- GARDEN Interlocking (The LIRR Today)