Garden City High School (New York)
|Garden City High School|
|170 Rockaway Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Education: A Journey Into the Future|
|School district||Garden City Union Free School District|
|Assistant principals||Dave Perrotta,
|Color(s)||Maroon and Grey|
Garden City High School is the public high school in the town of Garden City, New York, United States. The principal of the school is Nanine McLaughlin. Assistant Principals are Kevin Steingruebner and Dave Perrotta.
Garden City High School was ranked by Newsweek as the 115th best high school in the United States in 2011. However, this rating was partly based on the fact that the high school had a graduation rate of 90%, whereas its actual graduation rate was 99%.
In 2009, the school sent a personal best, 7 students to the NYSSMA Conference All-State; 6 Choral students and a band member were selected.
Garden City High School is known for its high achieving athletic teams. The girls' lacrosse team has won the New York State Class B Championship for the past six years and was ranked the 2nd best high school team in the nation in 2011. The girls' field hockey team has also made the state championship tournament for the past seven years, winning the title in three of those years (2006, 2007,2009). The boys' football, soccer, and lacrosse teams are also perennial Long Island and New York State powerhouses, as are the girls' swimming, fencing and track&field teams.
- Carl Braun, professional basketball player for the New York Knicks
- John Chatterton, commercial S.C.U.B.A. Diver, subject of the bestselling book "Shadow Divers"
- Steven Chu (born 1948), current U.S. Secretary of Energy and winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1997, class of 1966
- Gilbert Chu, biochemist and oncologist at Stanford University
- R. Inslee Clark, Jr., Dean of undergraduate admissions, Yale University
- Matt Daley, New York Yankees relief pitcher
- Liza Huber, actress and daughter of Susan Lucci
- Joe Iconis, musical theater writer, recipient of 2006 Jonathan Larson award, 2007 Ed Kleban award, and a Backstage Bistro Award
- Dave Jennings, N.F.L. punter and football analyst
- Sarah Langan, horror writer, class of 1992
- Susan Lucci, actress, star of "All My Children", class of 1964
- Don McCauley, All American running back at North Carolina, Baltimore Colts, College Football Hall of Fame
- Elliott Murphy, singer/songwriter, class of 1967
- Kathleen Rice, district attorney of Nassau County, New York
- John Tesh, pianist, composer, radio host and television presenter
- Sarah Smith, author of mysteries and science fiction
- Lara Spencer, television journalist, Host of The Insider
- Michael Wigler, geneticist at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
- Irvin Faust, noted novelist and short-story writer, was the Director of Guidance from 1960 through 1995.
- America's Best High Schools 2011 - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
- Kerr, Kathleen (July 16, 2008). "They Began Here: Around the country, leading thinkers in health and science can trace their roots to Long Island". Newsday. Retrieved September 17, 2008.[dead link]
- Encyclopedia.com article. , Accessed February 25, 2010.
- Garden City High School Web Site
- Garden City Football
- Photographs from Garden City High School Sporting Events
- Garden City Wings Ice Hockey Team