|Headquarters||Quincy, Illinois, United States|
|Key people||Michael M. Larsen President (CEO, CFO & Director)|
|Revenue||US$2.37 billion (FY 2011)|
|Operating income||US$400.71 million (FY 2011)|
|Net income||US$277.56 million (FY 2011)|
|Total assets||US$1.02 billion (FY 2011)|
|Total equity||US$1.37 billion (FY 2012)|
|Owner(s)||Kohlberg Kravis Roberts|
Gardner Denver, Inc., founded in 1993, but with a history going back to the 1850s, is a company that designs, manufactures, and globally markets engineered industrial machinery and related parts and services. Based in Quincy, Illinois, it operates in three segments, Industrial Products Group, Energy and Infrastructure Group, and Thomas Group.
The Industrial Products Group segment offers rotary screw, reciprocating, and sliding vane air and gas compressors; positive displacement, centrifugal, and side channel blowers; and vacuum pumps for use in manufacturing, transportation and general industry, and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and engineered system applications. This segment also markets and services complementary ancillary products.
The Engineered Products Group segment designs, manufactures, markets, and services liquid-ring vacuum pumps, reciprocating pumps, and engineered systems for power generation, environmental, petrochemical, pulp and paper and industrial applications; pumps and fluid transfer equipment used primarily in oil and natural gas well drilling, servicing and production, and petrochemical and industrial applications. This Group's products also include loading arms, swivel joints, couplers, valves, fall protection and access equipment used to load and unload ships, tank trucks and rail cars.
The Thomas Group manufactures single-piece piston reciprocating, diaphragm and linear compressors and vacuum pumps, which are used in medical, environmental and laboratory applications.
- 1859 The Gardner Governor Company, founded by Robert Gardner, introduces the first effective speed controls for steam engines. This innovation, known as the flyball governor, helped pave the way to later production of other industrial products such as air compressors.
- 1927 The company merges with the Denver Rock Drill Company and became Gardner-Denver.
- 1959 During the postwar period of growth, Gardner-Denver makes a number of acquisitions, including the CycloBlower Company, a manufacturer of helical screw blowers.
- 1979 It is acquired by Cooper Industries, Inc. (Cooper) and operates as ten unincorporated divisions.
- 1985 Two of these divisions, the Gardner-Denver Air Compressor Division and the Petroleum Equipment Division, are combined to form the Gardner-Denver Industrial Machinery Division.
- 1987 Cooper acquires the Sutorbilt and DuroFlow blower product lines and the Joy industrial compressor product line, which are also consolidated into the division.
- December 31, 1993 Cooper transfers the assets and liabilities of the Industrial Machinery Division to the Gardner-Denver Company, formed as a wholly owned subsidiary of Cooper.
- April 15, 1994 The Gardner-Denver Company is spun off as an independent company to the Cooper shareholders.
- January 1998 Gardner-Denver acquires Princeton, Illinois-based Champion Pneumatic and Fort Worth, Texas-based Geological Equipment.
- September 2001 It acquires UK compressor manufacturer Hamworthy, Belliss & Morcom from Powell Duffryn Group for £21 million.
- In January 2004 Gardner Denver Inc purchased Siltone and the EMCO Wheaton businesses were consolidated into the Emco Wheaton Division, operating within Gardner Denver’s Energy Group, where it resides to this day.
- 2009 Gardner Denver, Inc. marks its sesquicentennial (its 150 years) as a company.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
- Business Week Company Profile and press releases for Gardner Denver, Inc. http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/news/news.asp?ric=GDI
- MSN money article "Gardner Denver, Inc. Reports Preliminary First Quarter 2009 Financial Results" http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=MW&date=20090423&id=9833173
- Gardner Denver press release; "Gardner Denver, Inc. Announces Manufacturing Consolidation Project" http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Gardner-Denver-Inc-NYSE-GDI-973780.html