Gareth Edwards (director)
Edwards in 2013.
|Born||1975 (age 37–38)
Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, UK
Gareth Edwards (born 1975) is a British film director. He is best known for Monsters, an independent film for which he acted as writer, director, cinematographer, and visual effects artist. He is currently directing the upcoming Godzilla reboot from Legendary Pictures.
He cut his teeth in the world of special effects; creating digital effects for prestigious shows such as Heroes and Villains (2008), a series for which he made 250 visual effects which won international recognition. In 2008 he entered Sci-Fi-London, a 48 hour film challenge, where a movie had to be created start-to-finish in just two days, within certain criteria. Edwards won the contest and went on to write and direct Monsters, his first feature. Edwards personally created the special effects for Monsters using off the shelf equipment. Besides the two main actors, the crew consisted of just five people.
The success of Monsters brought enough awareness in Hollywood to land Gareth Edwards a few major projects. Edwards landed his first major Hollywood feature as the director for the upcoming Godzilla reboot from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures on January 2011. He is also developing a science fiction film with Timur Bekmambetov.
- Monsters (2010) (director, writer, director of photography, visual effects, production designer)
- Godzilla (2014) (director)
- Monsters: Dark Continent (TBA) (executive producer)
- Heroes and Villains, episode "Attila the Hun" (2008) (director and visual effects)
- In the Shadow of the Moon (2007) (visual effects)
- Factory Farmed (2008) (writer, director, cinematography, editing)
- Clarke, Cath (23 September 2010). "First sight: Gareth Edwards". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- Davis, Laura (2 December 2010). "Interview with Gareth Edwards, the Director of ‘Monsters’". The Independent. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- Hopkins, Jessica (27 February 2011). "The film that changed my life: Gareth Edwards". The Observer. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Rose, Steve (27 November 2010). "Monsters: the bedroom blockbuster that's the anti-Avatar". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Kit, Borys (4 January 2011). "EXCLUSIVE: 'Monsters' Director Stomps to 'Godzilla'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (13 September 2010). "‘Monsters’ Director Scares Up Next Gig". Deadline.com. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Bloody Disgusting - news article, Sept 13, 2012
- Gareth Edwards at the Internet Movie Database
- Factory Farmed, winner of the Sci-Fi-London 2008 film festival 48 Hour Film Challenge, on Dailymotion.
- Gareth Edwards: Indie Filmmaker, See how Gareth created his independent film with "pro-sumer" equipment.