|Birth name||Gareth Thomas Rhys Emery|
|Also known as||GTR, Rue De Gar, Runaway|
18 July 1980 |
|Genres||Electronic dance music|
Gareth Emery was born in Southampton, England although he also has Welsh heritage, and he is an avid supporter of the Welsh rugby team. He lived in Southampton until the age of 26 before relocating to Manchester, England where he had a studio and ran a night club and record label, both called Garuda. He has a degree in Politics from University of Warwick, supports Southampton Football Club, and is trained in classical piano. Prior to becoming involved in electronic music he played guitar in a punk band in the mid-nineties. He now lives in Los Angeles with his wife Kat.
Emery has a distinctive production style that has been described as a fusion of trance, house and progressive, and is described by Emery himself as 'simples'. Although usually categorised as a trouse DJ, he has often dismissed this label simply stating that he plays good records regardless of genre.
Emery’s debut vinyl release was a white label remix of The Shrink's classic "Nervous Breakdown" which was released in early 2002. In February 2002 Judge Jules broadcast the track live on BBC Radio 1 from the Mardi Gras festival, which brought Emery to the attention of the electronic music community. However, the track that launched his career is generally considered to be his third release: GTR – "Mistral". It was created entirely on a computer over the course of a two week holiday in Provence. Paul van Dyk debuted the track live on the radio during the Nature One Festival in 2002 and it subsequently received support from some of the world's leading DJs, including Tiësto, Armin van Buuren and Ferry Corsten, and received highly positive reviews in Mixmag, Muzik, and DJ Magazine. Emery was ranked at #34 in DJ Mag's Top 100 poll in 2006, #31 in 2007, #23 in 2008, #9 in 2009 and #7 in 2010. in 2011, Emery dropped to #13. He was ranked at #14 in 2012, and dropped further to #51 in 2013.
Albums and Remixes
Emery has released four mix CDs during his career: The Five AM Sessions (2005), The Podcast Annual (2007), The Sound Of Garuda (2009) and The Sound Of Garuda: Chapter 2 (2011). His debut artist album Northern Lights was released in 2010, and achieved considerable success, climbing to no.1 in the US iTunes dance chart. The album also contained one of his most successful tracks "Sanctuary", which was voted the 2nd biggest track of 2010 by listeners of Armin van Buuren's A State Of Trance radio show, and then became the most played record of 2011 on US Sirius XM Radio dance station BPM. In 2011, a remixed edition of the album was released entitled Northern Lights Re-Lit with remixes by acts including Hardwell, Arty, Giuseppe Ottaviani, John O’Callaghan, Lange and Ashley Wallbridge. Since 2002, he has produced, remixed, or collaborated on around 90 tracks, with notable remixes for Britney Spears, Armin van Buuren, and Above & Beyond.
On his podcast and his Twitter page in September 2013, he announced that he had a new artist album, due for release in early 2014. The build-up will include plays of complete 'classic Emery albums' on TGEP, and started with 'The Sound of Garuda' (Ep. 251). The album, Drive was released on April 1st and is a follow up to Northern Lights
From 2003 to 2008, Gareth co-owned now defunct label Five AM under which some of his biggest hits from the time were released (Mistral / This Is That / More Than Anything). In late 2008 he announced he would no longer be involved at Five AM, instead starting a new label 100% owned by him called Garuda. The first Garuda release was his own record Exposure / Metropolis released in May 2009.
Since then all Emery's records have been released through Garuda. It is named after the bird-like creature from Hindu and Buddhist mythology, which Emery became aware of whilst touring Indonesia. The label has released records by artists including Ben Gold, Tritonal, M.I.K.E. and Blake Jarrell. The label also runs occasional club nights at Manchester superclub Sankeys, which was voted DJ Mag’s no.1 club in the world in 2010. Guests have included Ferry Corsten, Markus Schulz, Above & Beyond and Sander Van Doorn.
Emery is managed by Three Six Zero Group.
Podcast & SiriusXM show
Since March 2006, Emery has produced the 'Gareth Emery Podcast'. Originally fortnightly but now weekly, the podcast is generally 60 minutes in length and features 15 or so tracks in a radio show style format, covering a wide range of dance music genres. It is considered one of the first dance music podcasts, and has been nominated for "Best Podcast" at the Miami Winter Music Conference's International Dance Music Awards three times. A feature called 'Podcast Player' involves DJs leaving an answerphone message and playing one of their favourite tracks of the time.
In July 2012, Emery launched a syndicated radio show in North America called 'Gareth Emery Presents' on the SiriusXM channel Electric Area (Channel 52). The show broadcasts at 5pm ET Fridays with a repeat at 8pm ET Tuesdays.
Gareth Emery's production aliases include GTR, Cupa, Digital Blues and a house project under the meme Runaway.
His production history includes collaborations with artists like Lange, Solid Globe, Jon O’Bir and CERN with releases on a multitude of labels including A State of Trance, Armada Music, AVA Recordings, Anjunabeats, Mondo Records, S2 Records, Vandit, Baroque Records, Lost Language, Multiply Records, Bonzai Records, and his native Five AM label.
- Northern Lights [Garuda] (2010)
- Northern Lights Re-Lit [Garuda] (2011)
- Drive [Garuda] (2014)
- GTR – Mistral [Five AM]
- GTR – Flood Control [Influential]
- GTR – Psiclone [Influential]
- GTR vs The Shrink – Nervous Breakdown (Trance mix) [Nutrition]
- GTR vs The Shrink – Nervous Breakdown (Bootleg mix) [Nutrition]
- CERN – The Message (additional production) [Five AM / ASOT]
- Cupa – Blaze [Five AM]
- Cupa – Foundation [Five AM]
- Nova – All This Love (GTR mix) [Multiply]
- CERN – Baileys (GTR dub) [Five AM]
- Quadraphonic – I Can Feel Your Love (Gareth Emery's GTR mix) [Lost Language]
- Wirefly – The Verdict (Gareth Emery & Mark Dedross mix) [Motion]
- Gareth Emery & Jon O'Bir – Escapade [Five AM]
- GTR – Reason To Believe (Original Mix) [Five AM]
- GTR – Reason To Believe (Gareth Emery Remix) [Five AM]
- Echano – Nothing To Live For (Gareth Emery Remix) [Motion]
- Will Holland – Magicka (Gareth Emery Remix) [Forty Five]
- Digital Delinquents – Forever (Gareth Emery Vocal / Dub mixes) [Equilibrium]
- Zodiak – Provincial Disco (Gareth Emery Remix) [MICREC]
- DJ Sammy – L'bby Haba (Gareth Emery Remix) [Super M]
- Gareth Emery – Between Dreams [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery – Backlash [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery – Tribalism [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery – History Of A Day [Five AM]
- Lange vs Gareth Emery – This Is New York [Lange Recordings]
- Lange vs Gareth Emery – X Equals 69 [Lange Recordings]
- Gareth Emery & Jon O'Bir – Bouncebackability [Five AM]
- Emery & Kirsch – Lose Yourself [Enhanced]
- Cupa – Mass Panic (Gareth Emery Remix) [Five AM]
- Cupa – Mass Panic (Concept mix) [Five AM]
- Digital Blues – Digital Blues [Lange Recordings]
- Digital Blues – Definition [Lange Recordings]
- NU NRG – Dreamland (Gareth Emery vs. Brisky Remix) [Monster]
- DT8 Project – Tomorrow Never Comes (Gareth Emery Remix) [Mondo]
- Lange vs Gareth Emery – Another You, Another Me [Vandit]
- Lange vs Gareth Emery – Back On Track (Gareth Emery Back On Breaks remix) [Lange]
- Mike Foyle – Shipwrecked (Gareth Emery remix) [Armind]
- Vinny Troia feat. Jaidene Veda – Flow (Gareth Emery Remix / Dub mix) (Curvve Recordings)
- Gareth Emery & Nicholas Bennison – Interlok [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery & Nicholas Bennison – Interlok (Gaz's Dubbed Out mix) [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery & Jon O'Bir – No Way Back [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery & Jon O'Bir – Integrate [Five AM]
- Lange vs Gareth Emery – On Track [Lange]
- Lange vs Gareth Emery – Three [Lange]
- George Acosta feat. Truth – Mellodrama (Gareth Emery Remix) [Five AM]
- Gareth Emery - More Than Anything (Remixes) (Curvve Recordings)
- Gareth Emery – More Than Anything (Five AM)
- Albert Vorne – Formentera What? (Gareth Emery Remix) (Club Elite)
- Gareth Emery pres. Runway – Outrageous (Baroque)
- Gareth Emery pres. Rue De Gar – Soul Symbol (Curvve Recordings)
- DJ Orkidea – Metaverse (Gareth Emery Remix)[AVA Recordings]
- Myon and Shane 54 feat. Carrie Skipper – Vampire (Gareth Emery's Garuda Remix)[Armind]
- Gareth Emery – This Is That [Five AM Records]
- Martin Roth – Off the World (Gareth Emery Remix)[Vandit]
- Darude ft. Blake Lewis – I Ran (So Far Away) (Gareth Emery Remix)[HMC/DRD Music Finland]
- Andrew Bennett vs. Tatana - Closer (Than A Heartbeat) (Gareth Emery Remix) [S2 Records]
- Bartlett Bros. ft. Marcia Juell - Let it Flow (Gareth Emery Remix)[Lunatique]
- Stowers & Young – The Second Coming (Gareth Emery Remix) [Insight Recordings]
- Menno de Jong feat. Re:Locate – Solid State (Gareth Emery Remix) [Intuition Recordings]
- Gareth Emery – Exposure/Metropolis [Garuda]
- Bobina – Time & Tide (Gareth Emery Remix) [World Club Music]
- Above & Beyond pres. OceanLab – Lonely Girl (Gareth Emery Remix) [Anjunabeats]
- Ronski Speed feat. Ana – The Deep Divine (Gareth Emery Remix)[Euphonic]
- M.I.K.E. – Sunrise at Palamos 2009 (Gareth Emery Remix) [Garuda]
- Fabio XB & Micky VI – Make This Your Day (Gareth Emery Remix) [S107 Recordings]
- Fabio XB & Andrea Mazza – Light To Lies (Gareth Emery Remix) [S107 Recordings]
- Gaia – Tuvan (Gareth Emery Remix) [Armind]
- Gareth Emery with Emma Hewitt – I Will Be the Same [Garuda]
- Terry Ferminal & Jonas Stenberg – A Thousand Miles, Memories (Gareth Emery Edit) [High Contrast Recordings]
- Gareth Emery – The Sound Of Garuda [Garuda]
- Rosie and the Goldbug – Heartbreak (Gareth Emery Remix)
- Delerium Vs Gareth Emery – In This Silence (Black Army Mashup)
- Gareth Emery ft. Lucy Saunders – Sanctuary [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery – Citadel [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery feat. Roxanne Emery - Too Dark Tonight[Garuda]
- Above & Beyond & Gareth Emery pres. OceanLab – On a Good Day (Metropolis) [Anjunabeats]
- Nadia Ali – Rapture (Gareth Emery Remix)
- Gareth Emery – Northern Lights Re-Lit (Studio Album) [Garuda]
- John O'Callaghan – Save This Moment (Gareth Emery Remix) [Captivating Sounds – Armada]
- Britney Spears – I Wanna Go (Gareth Emery Remix)
- Gareth Emery & Ben Gold – Flash
- Super8 & Tab – Perfect Day feat. Alyna (Gareth Emery Remix) [Anjunabeats]
- Gareth Emery & Ashley Wallbridge – Mansion
- Gareth Emery feat. Mark Frisch – Into the Light
- Gareth Emery – Tokyo
- Gareth Emery feat. Christina Novelli – Concrete Angel [Garuda]
- Labrinth – Last Time (Gareth Emery Remix)
- Gareth Emery - The Saga [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery & Ashley Wallbridge – D.U.I. [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery - Meet Her In Miami [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery - Layers [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery & Krewella - Lights and Thunder [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery Feat. Bo Bruce - U [Garuda]
- Gareth Emery- Drive[Garuda]
- "Gareth Emery Interview 2011". Sheffield Student.co.uk. Retrieved April 2011.
- "7. Gareth Emery". DJ Mag. Retrieved November 2010.
- "Exclusive – Gareth Emery Interview". maxumi.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- "GARETH EMERY INTERVIEW". Cool Thanks. Retrieved 11.08.2010.
- "Biography of Gareth Emery". Resident Advisor.
- "Interview Gareth Emery". Skiddle.com. Retrieved 2010-10-21.
- "Gareth Emery". Twitter.com.
- "Gareth Emery Interview". Skiddle.com. Retrieved 21 Oct 2010.
- "Gareth Emery Singles". Gareth Emery.com.
- "GARETH EMERY CLUB TOUR". Indie Vibe.
- "GTR – Mistral". Discogs.
- "Biographie de Gareth Emery (GTR)". Clubxtrem.net.
- Gareth Emery » Latest news, tour dates, videos and more » Home. Garethemery.com. Retrieved on 2012-03-27.
- "Top 100 DJs". DJ Mag. Retrieved November 2010.
- "Gareth Emery Discography". Gareth Emery.com.
- "Gareth Emery reignites his Northern Lights". Skiddle.com. Retrieved 2011-03-24.
- "A State of Trance Top 20 of 2010". Armin Van Buuren.
- "The Sound of Garuda: Chapter 2". Beatroom. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "Gareth Emery Remixes". Gareth Emery.com.
- "Interview with Gareth Emery". Trancesound.net. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Gareth Emery - Metropolis". Trance.nu. Retrieved 9 May 2009.
- "Q&A with Gareth Emery". Rhythmism. Retrieved 22 Oct 2010.
- "Garuda". Gareth Emery.com.
- "Top 100 Clubs". DJ Mag.
- "Gareth Emery". DJ Mag.
- "Gareth Emery Podcast". Gareth Emery.com.
- "The Gareth Emery Podcast". Apple iTunes.
- "Gareth Emery". Enhanced Music.
- "Gareth Emery Podcast". Gareth Emery.com.
- "SiriusXM Electric Area". Gareth Emery.com.