||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (May 2015)|
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Howard Stoate|
12 October 1969 |
Bromley, London, England
Gareth Alan Johnson (born 12 October 1969; Bromley, London) is a British Conservative Party politician. He was elected at the 2010 general election as member of parliament (MP) for Dartford, winning the seat from Labour.
A former Dartford Grammar School pupil and a Dartford local himself, Johnson has represented Dartford (a constituency that Thatcher failed twice herself to win in 1950 and 1951) since the 2010 general election, winning the seat with a 10,628 majority. Before this election victory, Johnson had stood previously in Dartford at the 2005 general election, reducing the Labour majority to just 706 votes.
His Dartford Constituency comprises Dartford and the surrounding villages of Joydens Wood, Wilmington, Stone, Greenhithe, Swanscombe, Bean, Darenth, Sutton-at-Hone, Hawley, Longfield, Southfleet, New Barn, Hartley, Betsham and Hodsoll Street. Gareth stated during an interview at a local school that he believes firmly that students should have to pay £9000 a year and is quoted as saying "why should a plumber pay for a doctor to go to university."
In the 2015 general election, Johnson retained his seat and increased his majority to 12,345.
Before entering politics, Johnson worked as a local solicitor. In previous years he has also held the positions of Councillor and Constituency Chairman. He is on the Board of Governors for Dartford Grammar Girls School. One of his key interests outside of politics is playing cricket in the Kent Village League.
He currently lives in Hartley with his wife Wendy and their two children.
- The London Gazette: . 13 May 2010.
- "Gareth Johnson MP". BBC Democracy Live (BBC). Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "Who's Who". Ukwhoswho.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Reshuffle (continued): The full list of every PPS". Conservativehome.com. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "Dartford parliamentary constituency - Election 2015 - BBC News". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- "House of Commons - The Register of Members' Financial Interests - Part 2: Part 2". Publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- Gareth Johnson MP Official constituency website
- Gareth Johnson MP Conservative Party profile
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- Gareth Johnson on Facebook Facebook page
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Dartford
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2015 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|