Gareth Russell (author)
|Born||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|Education||Down High Grammar School|
|Alma mater||Saint Peter's College, Oxford|
|Genres||History, historical fiction, young adult fiction|
The Immaculate Deception
Gareth Russell is a British author, best known for writing the novel Popular and its sequel, The Immaculate Deception.
Early life and education
Gareth Russell was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He attended Academy Primary School then Down High Grammar School, and later graduated from Saint Peter's College, Oxford, where he read modern history. Russell completed a Master's degree in medieval history at Queen's University, Belfast. He currently lives in Belfast.
Russell is the author of a series of plays about the French Revolution, including The Audacity of Ideas and All Those Who Suffered. His other plays include Appeasement, Magdalene, The Mysterious Case of Elizabeth Barton and The Gate of the Year. In July 2011, his first novel Popular was published in the UK and Ireland by Penguin, as the first in a new series of novels following the lives of a group of privileged Belfast teenagers. It has subsequently been published in the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa. It was published in German as It-Girls by S. Fischer Verlag in 2014. It has also since been adapted for the stage. A sequel to Popular, The Immaculate Deception, was published in November 2012.
In August 2014, his first non-fiction book The Emperors: How Europe's Greatest Rulers were Destroyed by World War One was published by Amberley Publishing.
- Popular (2011)
- The Immaculate Deception (2012)
- The Emperors: How Europe's Greatest Rulers were destroyed by World War I (2014)
- An Illustrated Introduction to the Tudors (2014)
- The Audacity of Ideas
- All Those Who Suffered
- The Mysterious Case of Elizabeth Barton
- The Gate of the Year
- De Buitléir, Scott (7 March 2014). "Preview & Competition: The Gate of The Year @ Belvoir Players’ Theatre, Belfast". Eile Magazine. Eile.ie. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Russell, Gareth (1 October 2011). "My interview in The Irish Times". Confessions of a Ci-devant. Garethrussellcidevant.blogspot.com.au. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- Vidal, Elena Maria (17 October 2009). "The Audacity of Ideas". Tea at Trianon. Teaattrianon.blogspot.com.au. Retrieved 10 June 2014.