- This article is about a neighbourhood of Kolkata. For the town in Canada, see Garia, Newfoundland and Labrador.
|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|Metro Railway Stations||Kavi Nazrul, Shahid Khudiram, Kavi Subhash and Gitanjali|
|Railway stations||Garia, New Garia, Baghajatin|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||700084, 700047, 700094, 700152|
|Area code(s)||+91 33|
Garia (Bengali:গড়িয়া) is a neighbourhood in south Kolkata, India. It includes the localities of New Garia, Chak Garia, Garia Park, Baghajatin, Baishnabghata-Patuli, Techno City, Panchpota, Model Town, Ganguly Bagan, Tentulberia, East Tentulberia, Ramgarh, Briji, Kamalgazi, Mahamayatala, Boral, Sreenagar, Nayabad, Panchasayar, Balia and certain parts of New Ajaynagar. It is bounded by Jadavpur/Dhakuria/Golpark/Gariahat to the north, Bansdroni/Tollygunge to the north-west, Santoshpur to the north-east, Narendrapur/Sonarpur to the south and Mukundapur to the east. The southern part of the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass runs through the heart of the region. It is also represented by an important, ever-busy, and ever-crowded traffic junction from where a variety of public transports ply in different directions, making it a principal spot of south Kolkata.
- 1 History
- 2 Modern day Garia
- 3 Notable Sub-localities in Garia
- 4 Geographic location
- 5 Transport
- 6 Shopping
- 7 Cuisine
- 8 Medical facilities
- 9 Education
- 10 Places of interest
- 11 Festivals of Garia
- 12 In popular culture
- 13 Notable people from Garia
- 14 Gallery
- 15 See also
- 16 References
- 17 External links
Garia is one of the oldest settlements around the region, and is located on the Tolly's Nullah(canal) connecting Kolkata to the Vidhyadhari River to the east. It was primarily a peaceful residential neighbourhood before. The partition of India changed the very fabric of the area.
Overnight refugees came and settled down in the farm lands and country houses of the rich landowners of Kolkata in Garia, increasing the population of the area by many thousands.
Garia became another refugee settlement along with Jadavpur and Tollygunge in the southern fringes of the city. Slowly, after the initial upheaval, development of the area started and it grew to become a peaceful neighbourhood. But again another change was coming to the region. With the expansion of Kolkata to the east and the south during the 1990s, the area witnessed its latest change. Garia was the southern end of the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass, the next 'Chowringhee' of Kolkata. This road connected Garia to the northern parts of the city and the newly developing areas like Salt Lake City and Rajarhat, and also to the airport thus opening the way for rapid commercialization of the area. Already home to two major bus terminus, Garia became the transport and commercial hub for the region.
Modern day Garia
Garia is now home to some of the finest upcoming apartment complexes in the city, and is a haven for people looking to get away from the congestion of Kolkata. Hiland Park, Avani's Victoria Greens, Westwind, Orbit City, Sugam Park, Sherwood Estate and Bengal Ambuja's Upohar are the most famous apartment complexes in Garia. However, increasing population day by day, and the upcoming projects and vast number of residential flats and increased traffic have made Garia almost the same as the other congested places of Kolkata, at present. Metro railway has added a new feather in terms of communication which connects Central & North Kolkata to save time & have a comfortable journey.
Notable Sub-localities in Garia
New Garia is a fast-growing neighbourhood in the eastern part of Garia. The terminal metro station of Kolkata metro in the south is located here.
Chak Garia, also known as Chakgaria, is a posh neighbourhood in the eastern part of Garia. It is dotted with highrises like Hiland Park and Bengal Ambuja Upohar.
Baishnabghata-Patuli Township is a township located in the northern part of Garia. Baishnabghata-Patuli Township is a World Bank–funded project on the EM Bypass. Currently, it is one of the most promising parts of south Kolkata.
Mahamayatala is a well known place in Garia. There are many residential apartments or complex, shops, all required stuffs for living. Mahamayatala is known for its famous Maa Mahamaya Temple.
Hindustan More Its one of the posh areas of Garia location with renowned multi specialty nurshing home like Hindustan health point and shopping destination like bizaare. BSF camp. Housing Complex like Ananya Apartments. Balia : Balia is also a fast-growing neighbourhood in the eastern part of Garia.
||Tollygunge, Regent Park||Jadavpur||Survey Park, Ajaynagar, Santoshpur|
|Rajpur||Narendrapur, Sonarpur||Ganga Joara|
Garia is home to four major bus termini (popularly named as No.5, No.6, S-21, S-7 and the 45A, 45B after the routes they originally used to serve) and is connected by all varieties of bus services to all parts of the city.
Kavi Nazrul station connects this locality to the Kolkata Metro network. Two more stations - Shahid Khudiram (Near E M Bypass and Garia Station Road crossing popularly known as "Dhalai Bridge", meaning concrete bridge) & Kavi Subhash (at New Garia, the terminal station in this route near Pancha Shyar, in between Baghajatin Railway Station & Garia Railway Station and just beside New Garia Railway Station) have become operational from 7 October 2010.
Garia is served by the Garia, New Garia and Baghajatin railway stations on the Sealdah South section of the Kolkata Suburban Railway. Surface transport routes and many private bus routes ply from Garia to many important destinations via E.M. Bypass and the main roads. There are also long distance bus routes specially the Digha bus route which also ply from Garia regularly.
CSTC Bus routes,
- 5 Garia - Howrah via Baghajatin, Jadavpur, Dhakuria, Golpark, Deshapriya Park, Rashbehari, Hazra, Rabindra Sadan, Park Street
- 6 Garia - Howrah via Naktala, Bansdroni, Ranikuthi, Tollygunge, Rashbehari, Hazra, Rabindra Sadan, Park Street
- S7 Garia - Howrah via Naktala, Bansdroni, Ranikuthi, Tollygunge, Rashbehari, Hazra, Rabindra Sadan, Park Street
- IC21 Bagbazar - Garia via via Shyambazar, Khanna, Ultadanga, E.M. bypass, Chingrighata, Science City, Ruby Hospital, Kalikapur, Mukundapur, Patuli
- S37A/MS37B Airport - Garia via Baguihati, Ultadanga, E.M. bypass, Chingrighata, Science City, Ruby Hospital, Kalikapur, Mukundapur, Hiland Park, Patuli
CTC Bus routes -
- C5 Garia Station - Howrah Station via New Garia, Peerless Hoespital, Ajoynagar, Santoshpur, Jadavpur, Dhakuria, Golpark, Deshapriya Park, Rashbehari, Hazra, Rabindra Sadan, Park Street
- C12 Garia Station - Dum Dum 7 Tank via Dhalai Bridge, Dhalai Bridge, Patuli, Hiland Park, Mukundapur, Kalikapur, Ruby Hospital, Science City, Topsia, Park Circus, Moulali, Sealdah, Maniktala, Shyambazar
- E11 Baruipur - Howrah via Gobindapur, Harinavi, Rajpur, Kamalgazi, Dhalai Bridge, Patuli, Hiland Park, Mukundapur, Kalikapur, Ruby Hospital, Science City, Topsia, Park Circus, Moulali, Esplanade, Barabazar
Major roads of Garia
- Eastern Metropolitan Bypass (gateway to Salt Lake City, New Town and Airport)
- Netaji Subash Chandra Bose Road (gateway to Tollygunge and Esplanade)
- Raja SC Mullick Road (gateway to Jadavpur and Gariahat)
- Garia Main Road (gateway to Rajpur-Sonarpur)
- Garia Station Road (gateway to Garia Railway Station. It also serves as a connector to the E.M. Bypass from Shitala Mandir Bus Stand of Garia.)
- Boral Main Road (gateway to Garia Adi Mahasamsan Ghat. It also serves the Shooting Location of "Pather Panchali" filmed by Satyajit Ray alos connector to Joinpur and Nepalgunge
List of Metro Stations in Garia
- Kavi Subhash (formerly New Garia)
- Shahid Khudiram (formerly Birji)
- Kavi Nazrul (formerly Garia Bazar)
- Satyajit Ray (proposed)
- GEETANJALI METRO STATION(NAKTALA AREA)
List of Railway Stations in Garia
- New Garia
Garia is one of the major shopping areas of Kolkata. It is home to many shopping malls and departmental stores. Some of them are :
- Metropolis Mall, Hiland Park, EM Bypass, Chak Garia.
- The Gift Shop, [1st Floor, Sonar Bangla Market Complex, Garia More, Kolkata- 700047] Mob -844914609 
- Wood Square, Kamalgazi
- Big Bazaar, Hiland Park, EM Bypass, Chak Garia.
- Big Bazaar, Orbit Mall, Garia.
- Big Bazaar, Kamalgazi
- Spencer's, Garia Station Road.
- Spencer's, Mahamayatala.
- Spencer's, Upohar Town Centre, Chak Garia.
- Spencer's Express, Baishnabghata Patuli Township.
- Spencer's Express, Tolly Heights, Naktala.
- Bizarre Bazar.
- Sonar Bangla Shopping Complex.
Aminia for Mughlai Cuisine near Garia More
- R.B Healthy Caterers
- Illusion Restro & Lounge Bar, Hiland Park, Chak Garia
- Azad Hind Dhaba, Baishnabghata-Patuli Township
- Babu Mashai
- Neelanjana Multicuisine Restaurant and Caterer
- Yo Foodies, Hiland Park, Chak Garia 
- Giani Di Hatti, Purani Delhi, Chakk Garia 
- Bhuter Raja Dilo Bor, Baishnabghata-Patuli Township 
- Banana Leaf
- Dominos Pizza, Tolly Heights, Naktala
- Dominos Pizza, Narendrapur
- Cafe Coffee Day, Naktala
- Cafe Coffee Day, Wood Square, Narendrapur
- Little China, Naktala
- Ishan South Indian Delite
- TTK Restaurant
- New Bukhara
- Penguin Hut
- Diamond Restaurant
- Sholo Ana Bangali
- The Apollo Clinic
- Bengal Rural Welfare Service (BRWS) Hospital, junction of Raja Subodh Mullick Road and Baishnabghata Connector.
- Banchbo Healing Touch
- Peerless Hospital, at Panchasayar.
- Remedy Hospital, at Kalitala
- Lifeline Hospital, at Pratapgarh.
- Namita Biswas Memorial Eye Hospital at Garia Station.
- Hindusthan Health Point, at Hindusthan Bus Stop.
- Sevangan nursing home.
- Welkin diagnostic center.
- Smilz Dental Treatment Facility, Garia Park
- Remedy diagnostic center.
- Medical Health Clinic & Diagnostic Centre
- Care & cure diagnostic center.
- Friends Diagnostic Private Limited.
- Mother Teresa Memorial TB Hospital & Research Centre.
- Neotia Mediplus Super Speciality Clinic ( A unit of Park Hospitals)168 Garia Main Road, Kolkata 700084 (Opp. 228 bus stand)
Garia is home to several academic, research and professional institutions and schools. Major colleges, schools and research institutions located here includes:
- Netaji Subhash Engineering College
- Indian Centre for Space Physics, Garia Station Road
- Dinabandhu Andrews College-one of the largest colleges in south Kolkata affiliated to Calcutta University. Electronics, Microbiology are the Masters' subjects recently added.
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute
- Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
- Seacom Marine College
- National Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
- Sammilani Mahavidyalaya
- K.K. Das College
- Future Institute of Engineering and Management
- Swami Vivekananda Institute of Science & Technology
- Neotia Academy Of Nursing, Chak Garia
- Indus Valley World School
- Welland Gouldsmith School
- Techno India Group Public School
- Techno Model School
- Miranda High School
- B.D. Memorial Institute-Mahamayatala
- Garia Baroda Prasad High School
- Garia Harimati Devi U. Balika School
- Garia Vidyabhavana South School
- Kids World School
Places of interest
- Hiland Park is the second tallest tower in Kolkata (after South City) and is located in Chak Garia on the E. M. Bypass.
- The Conclave Club Verde Vista, Chak Garia.
- Big Bazaar, located near Hiland Park & Big Bazaar—Gangulybagan and Big Bazaar Wood Square, Narendrapur(front of Sherwood Estate)
are shopper's paradise and food-lover's delight.
- Garia Bazaar is one of the largest vegetable markets in Kolkata.
- Sant Sri Asaramji Ashram, near Netaji Subhash Engineering College.
- Bharat Sevashram Sangha, which is located near Briji.
- Very old twin temples at Garia Burning Ghat. Srimanta Saudagar (the son of Chand Saudagar) built these two temples (dedicated to Kali and Mahakal Shiva).
- VIP Ground
- 3 newly inaugurated metro stations.
- Garia Buddha Temple
- Baroda Avenue Kali Temple (one of the oldest Kali temples of Garia).
- A very old temple namely of historical importance (said to be as old as the reigns of the Sen rulers of Bengal, however the old construction has been ruined)-Tripurasundari Temple near Boral High School.
- Kaliganga (canal, a branch from the Ganga)
- Shri Shri Baba Lokenath Mandir ( near the newly inaugurated 'Kavi Nazrul' Metro Station)
- Bipattarini Mandir (Small incarnation of original Bipattarini Temple situated at Rajpur, South 24 Pgs). Those who are unable to visit Rajpur may visit this temple at Garia.)
- Mahamaya Mandir near Mahamayatala petrol pump on the Garia Main Road.
- Jora Mandir near Kali ganga canal consisting a pair of temples
Festivals of Garia
- Durga Puja is celebrated at Garia with great pomp. Nabadurga, Panchadurga, Durga puja of Jatra Shuru Sangha, Milan Park, Sangathani Sangha, Moitri Sangha, Kalyan Parisad and many pujas of housing societies needs special appreciation. People from all corners of the city comes and enjoy these pujas at Garia.
- Buddha Jayanti- celebration of 3 important event of Buddha's life (Birth, Buddhata, Maha Parinirvan)at Garia Buddha Temple on Buddha Purnima Day.
- Kathina Chivara Dana- special occasion for Buddhist specially for Buddhist monk after completion of 3 months of Varsha Mash at Garia Buddha Temple.
- Seva Utsav, organized by Dakshin Kalikata Krira O Sanskriti Parishad. It is successfully running for last 35th year. Activities are Free Eye Operation camp, Free Medical Camp, Various Cultural Competition & Programme, Torch relay, Various Exhibition, workshop, Demonstration, All Bengal Yogasan Competition, Baul Mela, Kavi Sammelan, Seminars, etc.
- Rakhi Utsav, Annual function of Sreerampur Kalyan Samity.
- West Bengal Art and Handicrafts Fair(sponsored by the Govt. of West Bengal).
- Old Rath Yatra fair at Rathtala and many other local fairs round the year.
- Puja Rating & Ride by Under Privileged & Street Children & also by Senior Citizen on Sasti/Saptami of Durga Puja organised by Banchbo.
- International Senior Citizen Day on 1 October of every year organized by Banchbo Healing Touch.
In popular culture
In early 1953, the principal photography of the Satyajit Ray's debut film Pather Panchali was done at Boral, then a small village on the outskirts of Kolkata, now a locality of Garia. A decade later, Ray again shot a scene of Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne in the dense bamboo groves near a local pond.
Notable people from Garia
- Ashapurna Devi, legendary and highly acclaimed novelist and poet
- Dr. Pabitra Sarkar, eminent educationalist, Ex-VC Rabindrabharati University
- Anurag Basu, Bollywood film director
- Kaushik Ganguly, film director
- Churni Ganguly, actress
- Locket Chatterjee, actress
- Rashid Khan, famous classical singer
- Sukumar Samajpati, famous East Bengal Football player and classical singer
- Sandipan Samajpati, famous classical singer
- Sidhu (a.k.a. Siddhartha Ray), musician (vocalist of Cactus band)
- Srijato, poet
- Sunil Ganguly, guitarist
- Nimu Bhaumick, actor
- Kabir Suman (Renowned Poet, Singer, Musician & Socio-Political Activist)
- New Garia
- Kolkata Metro Railway Routes (North South Corridor)
- Kolkata Suburban Railway
- Eastern Metropolitan Bypass
- Bus routes in Kolkata
- CTC Bus Routes
- The Telegraph article on the inauguration of the New Garia-Airport route
- Shopping areas in Kolkata
- Metropolis Mall, Hiland Park
- Big Bazaar-Chakgaria
- Big Bazaar-Garia
- Spencer's Stores in India
- Spencer's Express-Naktala
- Bizarre Bazar-Garia
- Sonar Bangla Shopping Complex
- Restaurants in Garia
- Kolkata Restaurants List
- Azad Hind Dhaba restaurants
- Anands Restaurant
- Babu Mashai
- Neelanjana Multicuisine Restaurant
- Yo Foodies
- Bhuter Raja Dilo Bor restaurant
- Banana Leaf
- Dominos, Naktala
- Cafe Coffee Day West Bengal outlets
- Little China, Naktala
- Ishan South Indian Delite
- Palki Restaurant
- Atithya Restaurant
- Bookhara Restaurant
- New Bukhara Restaurant
- Maharaj Restaurant
- Penguin Hut Restaurant
- Diamond Restaurant
- Sholo Ana Bangali Restaurant
- The Apollo Clinic Clinics
- Banchbo Healing Touch Official Website
- SMiLZ Dental Treatment Facility
- KMC Chest Clinics
- Indian Centre for Space Physics
- Affiliated colleges of Calcutta University
- Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta address
- Seacom Marine College address
- Sammilani Mahavidyalaya college address
- K.K. Das college address
- List of Schools of Nursing
- Indus Valley World School
- ISC schools in Kolkata
- Techno India Group Public School Branches
- Techno India Model School Branches
- B.D. Memorial School locations
- Schools in Kolkata
- Schools in Kolkata
- Garia Vidyabhavana South
- "Apu Doesn’t Live Here Anymore". Indian Express. Apr 6, 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
63. Giani Di Hatti
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garia.|
Kolkata/Southern fringes travel guide from Wikivoyage