Statue of Garimella Satyanarayana in Srikakulam
|Native name||గరిమెళ్ళ సత్యనారాయణ|
July 15, 1893|
Priyagraharam[Polaki Mandal], Srikakulam, India
|Died||December 18, 1952(aged 59)|
|Occupation||Poet, writer, freedom fighter|
Satyanarayana Garimella was a great nationalist who influenced and mobilized the Andhra people against the British with his patriotic songs and writings for which he was jailed several times by the British government.
Garimella Satyanarayana is identified by his famous song - “మాకొద్దీ తెల్ల దొరతనం ” (We don’t need this white rule). He himself used to sing this song. This particular song was a popular in the households of Andhra Pradesh during the Indian independence movement.
He was helped to study by a kind lawyer, called Kannepalli Narasimha Rao and finished graduation (BA). He worked as a clerk in collector's office of Ganjam district and as a teacher at a high school in Vijayanagaram. He gave up his studies by the call of Mahatma Gandhi to participate in civil disobedience movement. During this time, he wrote his famous song Maakoddee Telladoratanamu for which he was jailed in 1922 for one year. After the release from Jail, he continued his participation in the movement by singing songs in villages. For this he was sentenced for two and half years rigorous imprisonment. His entire family (wife, father and grandfather) died when he was in jail.
He died in a destitute state on December 18, 1952 after spending several years in poverty.
- Swaraajya geetamulu (1921)
- Harijana paatalu (1923)
- Khandakaavyalu, baalageetaalu (1926)
- Telugu translation of the Economic Conquest of India by Bhogaraju Pattabhi Sitaramayya.
- Telugu translation of “Tirukkuraalld” and “Naandiyar” from Tamil.
- Telugu translation of "Tallikota" from Kannada.
- An English poem “Heart of the Nation,”
- Several articles in various daily and weekly journals like Grihalakshmi, Krishnapatrika, Aanandavani, Dhanka, Aandhraprabha and Bhaarati.
- Articles &Essays written in various newspapers by Badana Raju
- GarimeLLa gEyAlu : Editor - parakAla paTTABirAmArAu,1992, Visalandhra Book House
- Telugu sAhitya samIksha - Dr. G. Nagayya, Navya Parisodhana Pracurana, Tirupati, 1985.
- AdhunikAndhra kavitvamu - Dr. C. Narayanareddy, Visalandhra,1993.
- Freedom Struggle in Andhra Pradesh - Prof. Mamidipudi Venkatarangayya, Vols I-IV, 1965.
- Andhrula Sankshipta Charitra - Etukuri Balaramamurthy, Visalandhra.
- Naa Vaajnmaya Mitrulu, Kameswarrarao Tekumalla.
- "Noorguru Telugu Pramukhulu, M.L. Narasimharao.