Garland, North Carolina
|Garland, North Carolina|
|— Town —|
|• Total||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.1 sq mi (2.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||131 ft (40 m)|
|• Density||751.2/sq mi (290.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0985570|
Garland is located at (34.787831, -78.394791).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2).1.1 square miles (2.8 km²) of it is land and 0.93% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 808 people, 276 households, and 203 families residing in the town. The population density was 751.2 people per square mile (288.9/km²). There were 313 housing units at an average density of 291.0 per square mile (111.9/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 48.64% White, 33.79% African American, 0.62% Native American, 15.59% from other races, and 1.36% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 18.56% of the population.
There were 276 households out of which 32.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 23.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.4% were non-families. 22.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.78 and the average family size was 3.20.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 10.9% from 18 to 24, 25.7% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 16.1% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 34 years. For every 100 females there were 91.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $29,000, and the median income for a family was $29,145. Males had a median income of $20,288 versus $17,417 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,533. About 24.4% of families and 25.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.6% of those under age 18 and 24.4% of those age 65 or over.
 Notable Interests
- The current mayor is Winifred Hill Murphy. She was appointed in February 2012, becoming the first female and the first African American who has served as mayor for the town.
- Garland is home to Cashwell Farms, a 100-year old farm that currently serves as a working blueberry farm. Cashwell Farms is a two-time (2005 & 2006) North Carolina State Fair Winner in both Jams and Chicken categories.
- The Garland Shirt Company, the town's major employer, produces shirts and other assorted apparel items for Brooks Brothers.
- The Garland Rotary Parade & Festival is held every October on Front St. with food, games, shops, and music. A street dance is held in the afternoons, which is often hosted by the Cape Fear River Band.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.