Garner Magnet High School
|Garner Magnet High School|
Great Minds, High Standards
|2101 Spring Drive
Garner, North Carolina 27529
|Type||Public (Magnet, IB)|
|School district||Wake County Public School System|
|Enrollment||2,400 (2012–2013) |
|Student to teacher ratio||15.6|
|Schedule type||Block, 4-Periods|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Rival||Middle Creek High School|
Garner Magnet High School (GMHS) is a 4AA school located in Garner, North Carolina, in the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS). GMHS has a current (2012–2013) enrollment of 2400 students. GMHS offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, which is offered by only three schools in the WCPSS, including Broughton High, and Enloe High School.
Garner Magnet High School has approximately 2400 enrolled students. The racial/ethnic makeup of the student population is approximately 38.5% White, 37.1% Black or African-American, 18.3% Hispanic or Latino, and 4.3% Multi-Racial. There are 148 members of the teaching staff, and many support personnel employed in administration, guidance and similar positions. GMHS prides itself on a skilled and accredited faculty, of which 30 members are nationally certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards and 32% possess an advanced degree (Masters or Ph.D.) in their respective fields.
Garner Magnet High School offers courses of study in fine arts (band, chorus, dance, visual arts, drama, orchestra), healthful living, humanities, foreign language, math, science, and technology. In addition to Advanced Placement programs, the school also offers an International Baccalaureate curriculum.
International Baccalaureate curriculum
GMHS offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years and Diploma Programme. International Baccalaureate programs involve a rigorous and balanced two year program of university level coursework that leads to IB examinations. The school places strong emphasis on ideals of international understanding, responsible citizenship, and service. Diploma students take six subjects: English, Math Studies or Math SL, science Chemistry, Physics or biology, Spanish or French, History of the Americas in 11th grade and 20th Century Topics in 12th grade, and an elective- Psychology, Art or Drama. They also write a 4,000 word extended essay, complete a course in theory of knowledge and complete a number of creativity, service and action and service (CAS) projects. Students who qualify via IB examinations receive the IB Diploma recognized by universities throughout the world.
GMHS sports teams include:
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (August 2010)|
- Baseball, 1979 NCHSSA 4A champions, 23 Conference titles (the baseball championship was won in 1978.. it was included in the 1979 yearbook, as baseball is a spring sport completed after yearbook publication)
- Women's Basketball, 1978 NCHSSA 4A champions, 1979 NCHSSA 4A Runner Up, 2006 Eastern Regional semi-finalist
- Cheerleading, 2003 & 2008 NC State Champions
- Football, 1987 4AA North Carolina Football State Champions, 1998 4AA Championship Runner-Up, 2006 4AA East Region Runner-Up. (AAAA runner up in 1976, 2011 East Region Champions
- Men's Tennis, 2006 conference champions
- Softball, 17 Conference Titles
- "NC School Report Cards: Classroom Teachers". Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "WCPSS Enrollment in Schools by Race/Ethnicity: October 2, 2012". Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "National Board Certified Faculty Members". Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "School Directory: Garner Magnet" . Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- "Richard Medlin". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved April 16, 2014.
- "East Carolina Official Athletic Site: Hall of Fame". Retrieved 23 December 2010.
- Best, D Clay (April 2, 2012). "2012 Garner High Athletics Hall of Fame class announced, N&O's Tim Stevens included". Raleigh News & Observer. Retrieved April 16, 2014.