August 16, 1981 |
Craik, SK, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||215 lb (98 kg; 15 st 5 lb)|
Toronto Maple Leafs
|NHL Draft||217th overall, 1999
John Garnet Exelby (born August 16, 1981) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. He is currently playing with Dornbirner EC of the Austrian Hockey League (EBEL). He is particularly known for his aggressive style of play and his checking abilities. Because of his checking abilities and his aggressive style of play, the phrase "being Xd- Out" is the phrase being used when getting checked by Exelby.
Exelby was drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in round 8, 217th overall, at the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. Having already spent one year playing junior hockey for the Saskatoon Blades of the WHL, Exelby played the next two seasons at the WHL with the Blades and the Regina Pats. In the 2001–02 season, Exelby moved away from the juniors and played in the AHL for the Chicago Wolves. He stayed with the Wolves for the whole of that season, as the Wolves clinched the AHL's Calder Cup. Exelby was called up to the main Thrashers roster midway through the 2002–03 NHL season.
Exelby became a free agent on July 1, 2010. He was invited on a try-out basis with the New York Rangers. He was let go on September 27.
On July 11, 2012, he was signed as a free agent by the Boston Bruins on a one-year, two-way contract. Exelby failed to make an appearance with Boston throughout the duration of his contact, serving as an alternate captain for AHL affiliate, the Providence Bruins.
After captaining the Norfolk Admirals on one-year AHL contract in the 2013–14 season, and having not participated in the NHL since 2010, Exelby opted to sign abroad in the Austrian Hockey League, on a one-year contract with Dornbirner EC on July 16, 2014.
|1997–98||Winnipeg South Blues||MJHL||46||5||11||16||110||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||Toronto Maple Leafs||NHL||51||1||3||4||73||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||Grand Rapids Griffins||AHL||75||7||14||21||177||—||—||—||—||—|
- Selected by the Atlanta Thrashers in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft as an 8th round choice, 217th overall.
- Traded to Regina Pats (WHL) by Saskatoon Blades (WHL) for Scott Balan and future considerations, January 15, 2001.
- Called up during the NHL 2002–03 season.
- Traded to Toronto Maple Leafs along with Colin Stuart for Pavel Kubina and Tim Stapleton, July 1, 2009
- Signed to the AHL affiliate of the Detroit Red Wings, July 5, 2011
- Signed by the Boston Bruins as a free agent, July 11, 2012
- Khan, Ansar (July 5, 2011). "Red Wings sign defensemen Garnet Exelby, Logan Pyett for depth in Grand Rapids". mlive.com. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Bruins sign Exelby, MacDermid". Boston Bruins. 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- "Dornbirn upgrade defense" (in German). Dornbirner EC. 2014-07-16. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Garnet Exelby's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Garnet Exelby's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Garnet Exelby's biography at Legends of Hockey
|Winner of the Dan Snyder Memorial Award