Garo: Makai Senki
|Garo: Makai Senki|
Promotional poster for Garo: Makai Senki
|Created by||Keita Amemiya|
|Narrated by||Hironobu Kageyama|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||25 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Kiyotaka Ninomiya|
|Original channel||TV Tokyo|
|Original run||October 6, 2011 – March 22, 2012|
|Preceded by||Garo Special: Byakuya no Maju|
|Followed by||Garo: Yami o Terasu Mono|
Garo: Makai Senki (牙狼〈GARO〉～MAKAISENKI～?, [Note 1]) is a Japanese tokusatsu television series serving as a sequel to Garo, airing on TV Tokyo. The catchphrase for the series is "The knight's oath, shines in gold" (騎士の誓い、金色に輝け。 Kishi no Chikai, Konjiki ni Kagayake.?).
Ryosei Konishi, Mika Hijii, Ray Fujita, Yasue Sato, Hironobu Kageyama, Ai Orikasa, and Yukijirō Hotaru reprise their roles from the original television series. Shouma Yamamoto reprises his role from the Byakuya no Maju special. Mary Matsuyama and Masahiro Kuranuki reprise their roles from the Red Requiem film. Newcomers to the series include Ozuno Nakamura and Yuriko Hishimi.
Following on from Garo and Garo: Red Requiem Makai Senki follows the continuing adventures of Kouga Saezima as he is promoted to being the Makai Knight to the Senate and how he tries to avoid an untimely demise after being marked by the Seal of Destruction by the series antagonist. Unlike the previous series, several episodes focus solely on Rei.
Subplots to the series concern Kouga's slow-boiling romantic relationship with Kaoru who is trying to get her first picture book published while Kouga tries to keep his seal a secret from her, Rei/Zero having also been marked with the seal and a possible resurgence in his friendly rivalry with Kouga, and the identity of the series antagonist, a red-masked Makai Priest who "seals" Kouga and Rei as part of his effort to destroy all of the Makai Knights and make the Priests dominant again.
Also introduced is the Makai Senate, which heads the Makai order and therefore over-rules the Watchdogs shown in the previous series. The senate includes Grace, a high ranking Makai Priestess and gives out orders in place of the Watchdogs and Kouga's new partner Reo Fudō, a kind hearted Makai Priest and creator of the Gouryu previously seen in the film Red Requiem. Reo is also seen to be troubled by memories of a woman (known as Mio) from his past, whom Kaoru reminds him of.
Throughout the remainder of 2011 and into 2012, the Garo production team showed three-episode blocks of the program before their television premieres at select theaters in Tokyo, Osaka, Aichi Prefecture, Fukuoka Prefecture, and Hokkaido. The release schedule for these (up through episode 24) were:
- Volume 1 (Episodes 1-3): September 24, 2011
- Volume 2 (Episodes 4-6): October 8, 2011
- Volume 3 (Episodes 7-9): October 22, 2011
- Volume 4 (Episodes 10-12): November 5, 2011
- Volume 5 (Episodes 13-15): January 7, 2012
- Volume 6 (Episodes 16-18): January 21, 2012
- Volume 7 (Episodes 19-21): February 4, 2012
- Volume 8 (Episodes 22-24): February 18, 2012
|October 6, 2011|
|Itaru Era||October 13, 2011|
|October 20, 2011|
|Toshiki Inoue||October 27, 2011|
|Yasuko Kobayashi||November 3, 2011|
|November 10, 2011|
|November 17, 2011|
|Itaru Era||November 24, 2011|
|Hisako Fujihira||December 1, 2011|
|Keita Amemiya||December 8, 2011|
|Keita Amemiya||December 15, 2011|
|Kei Taguchi||December 22, 2011|
|January 5, 2012|
|Itaru Era||January 12, 2012|
|Itaru Era||January 19, 2012|
|January 26, 2012|
|February 2, 2012|
|February 9, 2012|
|February 16, 2012|
|February 23, 2012|
|March 1, 2012|
|March 8, 2012|
|March 15, 2012|
|March 22, 2012|
|25||"Garo Special My Name Is Garo: The History of Kouga Saezima's Battles"
"Garo Supesharu Waga Na wa Garo -Saejima Kōga Tatakai no Kiseki-" (牙狼〈GARO〉スペシャル 我が名は牙狼―冴島鋼牙 戦いの軌跡―)
|March 29, 2012|
Soukoku no Maryu
Garo: Soukoku no Maryu (牙狼〈GARO〉～蒼哭ノ魔竜～ Garo ~Sōkoku no Maryū~?, subtitle literally "Demon Dragon of the Blue Cries") will be released on February, 2013, and serves as an epilogue to Makai Senki. It will tell the story of what happens to Kouga Saezima when he travels to the Promised Ground to retrieve Gajari's body. Ryosei Konishi was initially the only confirmed member of the cast, but Ray Fujita, Shouma Yamamoto, Ozuno Nakamura, Yukijirō Hotaru, Hironobu Kageyama, and Hiroyuki Watanabe have also been confirmed to appear in the film. The guest stars in the film are Yuki Kubota as Kakashi, Anna Aoi as Meru, Tetsuya Yanagihara as Esaruto, and Keiko Matsuzaka as Judam. JAM Project will contribute to the soundtrack of the film, performing the song "Kaze ~Tabidachi no Uta~" (風～旅立ちの詩～?, "Wind (The Traveler's Song)").
- Kouga Saezima (冴島 鋼牙 Saejima Kōga?): Ryosei Konishi (小西 遼生 Konishi Ryōsei?)
- Kaoru Mitsuki (御月 カオル Mitsuki Kaoru?): Mika Hijii (肘井 美佳 Hijii Mika?)
- Reo Fudō (布道 レオ Fudō Reo?), Sigma Fudō (布道 シグマ Fudō Shiguma?): Ozuno Nakamura (中村 織央 Nakamura Ozuno?)
- Rei Suzumura (涼邑 零 Suzumura Rei?): Ray Fujita (藤田 玲 Fujita Rei?)
- Tsubasa Yamagatana (山刀 翼 Yamagatana Tsubasa?): Shouma Yamamoto (山本 匠馬 Yamamoto Shōma?)
- Wataru Shijima (四十万 ワタル Shijima Wataru?): Kenji Matsuda (松田 賢二 Matsuda Kenji?)
- Jabi (邪美?): Yasue Sato (さとう やすえ Satō Yasue?)
- Rekka (烈花?): Mary Matsuyama (松山 メアリ Matsuyama Meari?)
- Shiguto (シグト?): Masahiro Kuranuki (倉貫 匡弘 Kuranuki Masahiro?)
- Gonza Kurahashi (倉橋 ゴンザ Kurahashi Gonza?): Yukijirō Hotaru (螢 雪次朗 Hotaru Yukijirō?)
- Grace (グレス Guresu?): Yuriko Hishimi (ひし美 ゆり子 Hishimi Yuriko?)
- Gigi (ギギ?): Hiromi Eguchi (江口 ヒロミ Eguchi Hiromi?)
- Madō Ring Zaruba (魔導輪ザルバ Madōrin Zaruba?, Voice): Hironobu Kageyama (影山 ヒロノブ Kageyama Hironobu?)
- Madō Necklace Silva (魔導具シルヴァ Madōgu Shiruva?, Voice), Madō Mirror Uruba (魔導具ウルバ Madōgu Uruba?, Voice), Madō Ring Eruba (魔導輪エルバ Madōrin Eruba?, Voice): Ai Orikasa (折笠 愛 Orikasa Ai?)
- Horror (ホラー Horā?, Voice), Heroic Spirit of Garo (英霊牙狼 Eirei Garo?, Voice): Rintarō Nishi (西 凛太朗 Nishi Rintarō?)
- Opening themes
- "GARO -MAKAI SENKI- with JAM Project"
- "Waga Na wa Garo" (我が名は牙狼?, "My Name Is Garo")
- Ending themes
- "PROMISE ~Without you~"
- "Makai Senki" is written as "魔戒閃騎" in kanji, which translates to "Makai Flash Knight".
- "Garo ~Makai Senki~ Slated to Premiere on TV on October 6". Anime News Network. 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- "人気特撮シリーズ劇場版最新作「牙狼 GARO 蒼哭ノ魔竜」製作決定にファン歓喜！". Eiga.com. March 25, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "【速報】「牙狼＜GARO＞～蒼哭ノ魔竜～」出演者追加情報！！". GARO-Project. June 2, 2012. Retrieved July 30, 2012.
- "JAM Project : JAM Project新曲「風〜旅立ちの詩〜」が『牙狼＜GARO＞〜蒼哭ノ魔竜〜』テーマソングに / BARKS ニュース". Barks.jp. Retrieved 2012-12-10.
- "我が名は牙狼 - TV特撮ドラマ『牙狼＜GARO＞～MAKAISENKI～』 - JAM Project | Lantis web site". Lantis. Retrieved 2011-12-13.