Garrapata State Park
Garrapata State Park is a state park of California, USA, located on Highway 1 6.7 miles (10.8 km) south of Carmel and 18 miles (29 km) north of Big Sur on the Monterey coast. It is marked only with one sign on the west side of the road. Numbered turnouts mark each parking area. The 2,939-acre (1,189 ha) park was established in 1979.
Garrapata State Park has 2 miles (3.2 km) of beachfront, with coastal hiking and a 50-foot (15 m) climb to a view of the Pacific. The park offers diverse coastal vegetation with trails running from ocean beaches into dense coast redwood groves. The park also features coastal headlands at Soberanes Point. California sea lions, harbor seals and sea otters frequent the coastal waters while gray whales pass close by during their yearly migration.
The area hosted the Ohlone and Rumsien tribes in the past. In the early 20th century it was the Ezequiel Soberanes Rancho, a cattle and sheep ranch. The ranch was later sold to the Doud family, who had a cattle ranch on the property. Features within Garrapata State Park still bear the names of these families.
At the county level, Garrapata State Park is represented on the Monterey County Board of Supervisors by Supervisor Dave Potter . In the California State Assembly, Garrapata State Park is represented by Bill Monning as part of the 27th Assembly district. In the State Senate, Garrapata State Park is represented by Sam Blakeslee as part of the 15th State Senate district. In the U.S. House of Representatives, Garrapata State Park is part of California's 17th congressional district, represented by Sam Farr.
- "Garrapata SP". California State Parks. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Garrapata State Park". Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- California State Park System Statistical Report: Fiscal Year 2009/10. California State Parks. p. 24. Retrieved 2012-01-21.
- "Monterey County Supervisorial District 5 Map (North District 5)". County of Monterey. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "Bill Monning - Biography". Bill Monning, California State Assemblyman, 27th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "District Map". Sam Blakeslee, California State Senator, 15th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "The 17th District: About the 17th District of California". Sam Farr, United States Congressman, California's 17th District. Retrieved 12 October 2012.