|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – No. 43|
May 27, 1988 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|August 10, 2011 for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
(through July 7, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.90|
|Career highlights and awards|
Richards went to Edmond Memorial High School, where he was a four-year letterwinner. His best season was 2005, where he went 8–5 with a 2.97 ERA and 106 strikeouts. The team won regional championships in 2005 and 2006.
He was not drafted out of high school, going to the University of Oklahoma. In 2007, his freshman year, he recorded nine saves, the fourth most in team history. That summer, he played with the Cotuit Kettleers of the Cape Cod Baseball League. In 2008, he made his first career collegiate start. He played the summer with the Mat-Su Miners of the Alaska Baseball League. 2009 was his best season, being a full-time starter he led the team in strikeouts (85) and wins (9).
He was drafted in the first round, 42nd overall, by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft, and earned an $802,800 signing bonus. He made his professional debut with Rookie level Orem, going 3–1 with a 1.53 ERA and a 7.50 strikeout to walk ratio. He started 2010 with Single-A Cedar Rapids, going 8–4 in 19 starts, earning a Midwest League All-Star selection. However, his walk total (34) did significantly rise in comparison to his strikeout total (108). He earned a mid-season promotion to High-A Rancho Cucamonga, going 4–1 with a 3.89 ERA in seven starts. He started 2011 with Double-A Arkansas, going 12–2 with a 3.06 ERA and three complete games in 21 starts, earning a Texas League All-Star selection.
On August 10, 2011, Richards was called up to take the rotation spot of Joel Piñeiro, filling in for the suspended Jered Weaver. His Major league debut was not a good one. Richards took the loss to the New York Yankees, giving up 6 earned runs in 5 innings pitched. His ERA after the end of that game was a very high 10.80. During his call-up in 2011, he pitched in seven games, starting three, and went 0–2 with a 5.79 ERA.
In 10 starts during 2012 for the Angels Triple-A affiliate, the Salt Lake Bees, Richards was 5–2 with a 4.31 ERA, striking out 48 while walking 29. He was called up by the Angels on June 5, 2012 to replace Jered Weaver who was placed in the 15-day disabled list and won his first major league game against the Seattle Mariners pitching seven strong innings allowing only one earned run.
- Garrett Richards University of Oklahoma
- Garrett Richards Minor League Baseball
- Garrett Richards Baseball-reference.com
- Shaikin, Bill (2011-08-09). "Angels call up Garrett Richards for 'one start or 10'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- McIntyre, Joe (2012-05-29). Richards feels more prepared in return to Halos, losangeles.angels.mlb.com, accessed 2012-06-05.
- Associated Press (2012-06-05). Mark Trumbo's two homers, four RBIs propel Angels past Mariners. ESPN.com, accessed, 2012-06-05.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Garrett Richards". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Oklahoma Sooners bio