Kenneth training with Bristol Rovers in 2013
|Full name||Garry Kenneth|
|Date of birth||21 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Dundee, Scotland|
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Playing position||Centre Back|
|Fairmuir Boys Club|
|2007||→ Cowdenbeath (loan)||7||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Garry Kenneth (born 21 June 1987) is a Scottish footballer who is currently playing for Carnoustie Panmure. He has previously played for Dundee United, Cowdenbeath, Bristol Rovers and Brechin City. Kenneth, who plays as a Centre back, has also represented Scotland twice at full international level.
Kenneth, who was brought up in Dundee, played for Dundee United Social Club and St.Josephs, before he returned with a second spell at Dundee United Social Club.
Kenneth, who is a keen Dundee United supporter and came through the Jim McLean School of Excellence, made his debut for United in February 2005, playing in the 3–0 Scottish Cup win at Queen of the South. Playing in the remaining thirteen games of the season, Kenneth's introduction to league football saw eleven goals conceded in just four games. However, following the Cup semi-final win over Hibernian, his contribution helped United concede just four goals in the final six league games. Kenneth was part of the United team who lost the 2005 Scottish Cup Final against Celtic. Kenneth signed a new contract in October 2006, taking him to 2010. In March 2007, Kenneth moved to Cowdenbeath on loan for the remainder of the season, after losing his place in the United first team. Kenneth regained his place in the team in early 2008, playing in the League Cup final defeat to Rangers.
In mid-January 2010, Dundee United rejected a £75,000 bid from Blackpool for Kenneth, stating that the offer was "ridiculously small". On 29 January, and with the transfer window coming to a close, Blackpool manager Ian Holloway confirmed that the club had made a vastly improved offer for Kenneth. The offer believed to be in the region of £500,000, was rejected by Dundee United, who after a fantastic 2009/10 season, valued the player at around £2m. Kenneth helped Dundee United get to the 2010 Scottish Cup Final and started in The Terrors 3–0 win over Ross County. Kenneth stated in November 2011 that he would be leaving United at the end of the 2011–12 season, in the hope of earning a move to the Football League Championship.
At the end of July 2012, he signed a three-year deal with League Two side Bristol Rovers. He made his Bristol Rovers début in a 1–1 draw at Plymouth Argyle on 18 September 2012, playing the full 90 minutes of the match. He made his home debut on 22 September 2012 in a 1–1 draw to Fleetwood Town. He scored his first goal for Bristol Rovers on 6 October 2012, against Northampton Town, in a 3–1 win. After an injury-plagued 16 months, in December 2013 Bristol Rovers announced Kenneth had left the club by mutual consent.
Kenneth was part of the Scotland under-19 team who lost in the final of the 2006 European Under-19 Football Championship. Kenneth also played two warm-up games for the Scotland under-20s as preparation for the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup, featuring again in May and July 2007. Kenneth made his début at under-21 level in the 3–2 defeat to Finland in September 2007, going on to win eight caps over the next twelve months.
He was selected in the full national team for the first time along with teammate Paul Dixon for the friendly with the Czech Republic. He made his debut for Scotland in August 2010, playing 90 mins against Sweden.
- Scottish Cup : 1
- 2008 (Runner-up)
- European Under-19 Championship Runner-up: 1
- March 2008
- The Bell's Scottish Football Review 2005.06. Cre8 Publishing. 2005. p. 20. ISBN 978-0-95485-561-1.
- "Garreth Kenneth". Youth Football Scotland. Retrieved 21 February 2011.
- "Dundee United Development Association". Dundee United FC.
- "Teenagers extend Tannadice stay". BBC Sport website. 11 October 2006.
- "Kenneth heading for Central Park". BBC Sport website. 16 March 2007.
- McArthur, Euan (18 January 2010). "Dundee United reject £75K bid for Garry Kenneth". Daily Record (Trinity Mirror). Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- Canavan, Steve (29 January 2010). "Pool make £500,000 defender bid". Blackpool Gazette. Retrieved 29 January 2010.
- "Ross County 0 Dundee United 3: match report". Daily Telegraph (Telegraph Media Group). 15 May 2010. Retrieved 6 August 2011.
- "Garry Kenneth keen to leave Dundee United in May". BBC Sport (BBC). 28 November 2011. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- MacDonald, Kenny (18 July 2012). "Rangers 2 Airdrie Utd 1". The Scottish Sun (News International). Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Bristol Rovers sign central defender Garry Kenneth". BBC Sport (BBC). 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Bristol Rovers 3–1 Northampton". BBC Sport (BBC). 6 October 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- "Defender leaves the club by mutual consent". Bristol Rovers FC. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Garry Kenneth joins Brechin City following Bristol Rovers exit". BBC Sport. BBC. 12 February 2014. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Carnoustie Panmure are delighted to announce the signing of former Dundee Utd, Bristol Rovers and Scotland International player Garry Kenneth on a 2 year deal". facebook. facebook. 21 August 2014. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garry Kenneth.|