HM Prison Garth
|Location||Ulnes Walton, Lancashire|
|Security class||Adult Male/Category B|
|Population||847 (as of February 2008)|
|Managed by||HM Prison Services|
|Website||Garth at justice.gov.uk|
HM Prison Garth is a Category B men's prison, located in the village of Ulnes Walton (near Leyland), in Lancashire, England. Garth is operated by Her Majesty's Prison Service, and is situated next to HMP Wymott.
Garth Prison was opened in October 1988, and a new residential unit (housing 120 prisoners) opened on 2 July 1997.
In January 2004, one of Garth's prison chaplains resigned over allegations that she had an affair with a prisoner who worked as a cleaner in the prison chapel. In September 2006 a prison officer from Garth was jailed after it emerged that she had smuggled pills and a mobile phone to an inmate she was having an affair with at the prison.
In August 2007, a report by Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Prisons praised Garth stating that it was "an essentially safe, respectful prison, with an increased focus on resettlement." However the report also criticised the prison for its race relations and overcrowded accommodation. Further accommodation of 180 places was built at Garth Prison in late 2007 and is notable for being the first prison building to incorporate Interseasonal Heat Transfer.
The prison today
Garth Prison accepts category B prisoners who are serving sentences of four years or more. Garth does not accept vulnerable prisoners.
Garth provides a range of training, learning and employment opportunities. Programmes on offer include woodwork, motor mechanics, industrial cleaning and light engineering. The prison also offers NVQs in horticulture and textiles, as well as electrical, mechanical and community workshops. A number of basic skills courses are also offered including literacy, numeracy and ESOL. The prison's gym also offers physical education including a YMCA Gym Instructor qualification, as well as recreational gym.
- "UK | Death threats for drugs dog". BBC News. 1998-12-09. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "UK | England | Lancashire | Jail chaplain quits over affair claim". BBC News. 2004-01-26. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "UK | England | Lancashire | Jailer smuggled phone to killer". BBC News. 2006-09-08. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "UK | England | Lancashire | Criticism of 'struggling' prison". BBC News. 2007-08-03. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- "Renewable Heat for HMP Garth, Leyland, Preston, Lancashire | Sustainable energy solutions from Ground Source Energy". Icax.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-08-07.