|Traded as||NYSE: IT|
|Key people||Gene Hall (CEO)
Christopher J. Lafond (CFO)
Darko Hrelic (CIO)
|Revenue||$1.784 billion (2013)|
|Net income||$182.8 million (2013)|
Gartner is an information technology research and advisory company providing technology related insight. Research provided by Gartner is targeted at CIOs and senior IT leaders in industries that include government agencies, high-tech and telecom enterprises, professional services firms, and technology investors. Gartner clients include large corporations, government agencies, technology companies and the investment community. The company consists of Research, Executive Programs, Consulting and Events. Founded in 1979, Gartner has over 5,300 employees, including 1,280 in R&D, located in 85 countries.
The company was founded in 1979 by Gideon Gartner. Originally a private company, the Gartner Group was launched publicly in the 1980s, then acquired by Saatchi & Saatchi, a London-based advertising agency, and then acquired in 1990 by some of its executives, with funding from Bain Capital and Dun & Bradstreet. In 2001 the name was simplified to Gartner.
In the course of its growth, Gartner has acquired numerous companies providing related services, including Real Decisions (which became Gartner Measurement, now part of Gartner's consulting division), and Gartner Dataquest (Gartner's market research firm). It has also acquired a number of direct competitors, including NewScience in the late 1990s, Meta Group in 2005 and AMR Research and Burton Group in early 2010.
The CEO is Gene Hall (since August 2004 Business performance under Hall's management has continued to grow since taking over from his predecessor Michael Fleisher (Michael D. Fleisher) who moved on to Warner Music Group in 2005.g
Gartner research has been mentioned by many news institutions, including the Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, and the New York Times. Gartner CIO Darko Hrelic has been interviewed by many IT-related publications, most recently CIO magazine.
- Automated Document Factory
- Gärtner[disambiguation needed]
- Soundview Technology Group, formerly Gartner Securities Corp.
- "EDGAR Form 10-Q". Securities and Exchange Commission. February 14, 2001. Retrieved 2006-12-16.
- "Gartner, Inc." (company profile). Hoover's. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "About". Gartner. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "Executive Bios". Management. Warner Music Group. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Stafford, Philip (May 30, 2008). "You can believe the Hype Cycle's take on technology".
- Worthen, Ben (April 11, 2008). "Windows (Slowly) Collapsing Under Own Weight". Wall Street Journal: Business Technology Blog.
- Holson, Laura M. (June 10, 2008). "Smartphones Now Ringing for Women". New York Times.
- "An expert among experts: Gartner CIO and senior vice-president". CIO. 2011-04-23. Retrieved 2012-02-11.