Garuda Wisnu Kencana
Mandala Garuda Wisnu Kencana, or Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK), is a 240 hectares private cultural park on the Bukit Peninsula at the southern end of the island of Bali in Indonesia, 15 minutes from Ngurah Rai International Airport. Bukit is a limestone plateau with Uluwatu to the west and Nusa Dua to the east.
Currently, the statue of Vishnu is 23 metres (75.5 ft) high, although the original plan was for a 146-metre (479 ft) gold-plated Vishnu riding Garuda on top of an 11-storey entertainment complex. Garuda wing span will be 64 metres (210.0 ft) across. When it's completed, it will be the largest statue in the world. The idea was not without controversy, and religious authorities on the island complained that its massive size might disrupt the spiritual balance of the island, and that its commercial nature was inappropriate, but some groups agree with the project, because it will make new tourist attraction over barren land.
After dormant moment, in 2013 Nyoman Nuarta who has most of the GWK's land and PT Alam Sutera Realty Tbk (IDX:ASRI) made join cooperation, but there is no declare share portion available. PT Alam Sutera Realty Tbk will build some luxurius villas and apartments in the GWK area and as the compensation the company will disburse Rp150 billion ($14.4 million). Nuarta will spend from his own pocket another Rp20 billion to make another bust, because the existing bust will move to other site 300 meters from the original site and Rp29 billion to make new design of stainless steel frameworks of the statue instead of using galvanized steel in the previous design. It is predicted that the project will be finished in early 2015.
Multy role site
In mid-2013, GWK site become a prestigious wedding venue and has been chosen as a venue of many international events. Everyday 3,000 tourists visit GWK site.
- On 20 February 2011, British heavy metal band Iron Maiden played the first rock concert at the venue to a sold out crowd of over 7,000 fans.
- On 17 August 2011, American rock band Paramore played the second date of their Pacific Rim Tour at the venue. This was also their last tour in 2011.
- On 25 July 2012, the Opening Banquet of the 60th World Convention of the Full Gospel Business Mens Fellowship International was held here.
- This is also a venue of Miss World 2013 which was held on September 2013.
- "MAGISNYA PESONA PULAU DEWATA – BAGIAN 2". Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "Nuarta ‘resurrects’ tallest Wisnu statue". July 24, 2013.
- "Success at last for Bali’s tallest monument". August 18, 2013.