Gary A. Braunbeck
Braunbeck was born in Newark, Ohio (the city that serves as the model for the fictitious Cedar Hill in many of his stories). He writes in a number of different genres, but principally horror. His work has received several awards, including the Horror Writers Association Bram Stoker Award for Superior Achievement in Best Short Fiction in 2003 and 2005 for "Duty" and "We Now Pause for Station Identification," respectively. In 2007, he won two Bram Stoker Awards, for Long Fiction with "Afterward, There Will Be a Hallway," and for Anthology with Five Strokes to Midnight (edited with Hank Schwaeble). He also won their 2006 award for Best Fiction Collection with his anthology Destinations Unknown from Cemetery Dance Publications and their 2010 award for nonfiction with To Each Their Darkness from Apex Publications. His novella "Kiss of the Mudman" received the International Horror Guild Award for Long Fiction in 2006.
Nearly 200 of his short stories have appeared in various publications such as The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Cemetery Dance, Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar, and The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror. Some of his most popular stories are mysteries that have appeared in the Cat Crimes anthology series. In 2007 his story "Rami Temporales" was adapted by Stranger Things into a short film entitled "One of Those Faces".
He has also served as co-editor for the latest installment of the Masques horror-anthology series created by Jerry Williamson, Masques V. For a time he was also a regular contributor to Everything2 and served briefly as a content editor there.
In 2005-2006, Mr. Braunbeck served a term as President of the Horror Writers Association. He is married to Lucy A. Snyder, a science fiction/fantasy writer, and they reside together in Columbus, Ohio. He dubbed the Dreadtime Stories series April Fool.
- (1998) Time Was:Isaac Asimov's I-Bots (co-written with Steve Perry)
- (2000) The Indifference of Heaven
- (2000) Dark Matter 1: In Hollow Houses|Dark Matter #1: In Hollow Houses
- (2001) This Flesh Unknown
- (2004) In Silent Graves
- (2005) In the Midnight Museum
- (2005) Keepers
- (2006) Prodigal Blues
- (2007) Mr. Hands
- (2008) Coffin County
- (2009) Far Dark Fields
- (1997) Things Left Behind
- (2001) Escaping Purgatory
- (2002) Sorties, Cathexes, and Personal Effects
- (2003) Graveyard People: The Collected Cedar Hill Stories, Volume 1
- (2003) X3 (novel)|X3 (contains three science fiction novellas: "One Brown Mouse," "At Eternity's Gate," and "Palimpsest Day").
- (2003) A Little Orange Book Of Odd Stories
- (2004) From Beneath these Fields of Blood
- (2005) Home Before Dark: The Collected Cedar Hill Stories, Volume 2
- (2006) Destinations Unknown
- (2003) Fear In A Handful Of Dust: Horror As A Way Of Life
- (2010) To Each Their Darkness
- (2006) Masques V (co-edited with Jerry Williamson)
- (2007) Five Strokes to Midnight (co-edited with Hank Schwaeble)