Gary Alfred Tomlinson is an American musicologist, and a full-time faculty member at Yale University. He was formerly the Annenberg Professor in the Humanities at the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with a Ph.D., in 1979 with thesis titled Rinuccini, Peri, Monteverdi, and the humanist heritage of opera.
- Monteverdi and the end of the Renaissance, University of California Press, 1987
- Music in renaissance magic: toward a historiography of others, University of Chicago press, 1993
- Metaphysical song: an essay on opera, Princeton University Press, 1999, ISBN 978-0-691-00409-9
- The singing of the New World: indigenous voice in the era of European contact, Cambridge University Press, 2007, ISBN 978-0-521-87391-8
- (with Joseph Kerman) Listen, sixth edn., Bedford/St.Martin's, 2008