Gary Alexander (footballer)
|Full name||Gary George Alexander|
|Date of birth||15 August 1979|
|Place of birth||Lambeth, London, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|?–1998||West Ham United|
|1998–2000||West Ham United||0||(0)|
|1999–2000||→ Exeter City (loan)||37||(16)|
|2012||→ Crawley Town (loan)||14||(7)|
|2013||→ AFC Wimbledon (loan)||18||(3)|
|2013||Crawley Town (interim)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:04, 26 August 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Gary George Alexander (born 15 August 1979 in Lambeth) is an English footballer who currently plays as a striker for Greenwich Borough. He was also interim manager of Crawley alongside Martin Hinshelwood.
West Ham United & Exeter City
He began his career with West Ham United, but his first taste of first team football came with a loan spell at Exeter City in the 1999–2000 season. Alexander scored 16 goals in 37 league games for the Grecians and although he was only on-loan to Exeter, became their Player of the Season. His form with Exeter convinced Swindon Town to sign him from West Ham for £300,000 in July 2000.
Alexander's time at Swindon was short. He played only one season, scoring seven goals in 43 appearances in all competitions.
With Swindon Town in financial difficulties they accepted a bid from Hull City in June 2001. His first season saw him score 20 goals in 47 appearances in all competitions and in the 2001–02 season he was awarded the Hull City Player of the Season award.
In January 2003 he moved to Leyton Orient where he soon became a first team regular. Alexander rejected a new deal in May 2007.
On 24 May 2009 Alexander scored twice for Millwall in the 2008–09 League One play-off final. However, he was unable to prevent Millwall losing 3–2 to Scunthorpe United, despite Alexander's two goals giving Millwall a 2–1 half-time lead. He missed a chance to put Millwall 3–1 up and claim his hatrick.
In August 2010 Alexander signed for Brentford for an undisclosed fee making his debut on 7 August against Carlisle United  and scoring his first Brentford goal a week later in a 2–1 home defeat to Walsall. On 28 January 2012 Alexander scored a hat-trick in a 5–2 win over Wycombe Wanderers.
In March 2012 Alexander signed on loan for Crawley Town until the end of the 2011–12 season. Alexander scored seven goals in fourteen appearances for Crawley as they finished 3rd in League Two and were promoted to League One. Following the sacking of manager Ritchie Barker, Alexander became interim manager on 28 November 2013, alongside chief scout Martin Hinshelwood.
On 31 January 2013 Alexander joined AFC Wimbledon, on loan until the end of the season. He scored three goals in 18 appearances, the last of which was the first in a 2–1 win over Fleetwood Town on 27 April 2013, the final day of the season, that preserved the Dons' Football League status.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2003). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2003/2004. Queen Anne Press. p. 19. ISBN 1-85291-651-6.
- "Profile – Gary Alexander". www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- "Millwall 2–3 Scunthorpe". BBC Sport. 24 May 2009. Retrieved 24 May 2009.
- "Alexander deal done – Yahoo! Eurosport". Uk.eurosport.yahoo.com. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "Disjointed Bees slip up at Carlisle (From Your Local Guardian)". Yourlocalguardian.co.uk. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "BBC Sport – Football – Brentford 1–2 Walsall". BBC News. 14 August 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Brentford 5–2 Wycombe". BBC Sport. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- "Soccerbase Gary Alexander". www.soccerbase.com. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "League Two review: Crawley secure back-to-back promotions as Hereford drop out of the league". www.dailymail.co.uk. 5 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Pair take over for trip to Crewe". Crawley Town. 28 November 2013.
- "AFC Wimbledon: Sullivan and Alexander among four arrivals". BBC Sport. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "AFC Wimbledon 2–1 Fleetwood". BBC Sport. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Albion sign Alexander". Burton Albion FC. 31 January 2014.
- "Shane Cansdell-Sherriff: Burton sign Preston defender". BBC Sport (BBC). 28 May 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2014.