|Date of birth||26 June 1971|
|Place of birth||Manchester, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Playing position||Full back|
|Blackburn Rovers (manager)|
|2012–2013||Blackburn Rovers (caretaker)|
|2013||Blackburn Rovers (caretaker)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Early and personal life
After playing non-League football for Westfields, Bowyer, a full back, signed for Football League team Hereford United on non-contract terms, making 14 appearances in the 1989–90 season. After the season ended, Bowyer moved to Nottingham Forest, but he never made a senior Football League appearance for them. Bowyer later signed for Rotherham United, making 38 appearances in the League over the next two seasons, before retiring due to injury.
After retiring as a player, Bowyer began his coaching career working part-time at Ilkeston, before being appointed as Under-17 coach at Derby County, where he spent six years as an academy coach. He then became Under 18's coach for Blackburn Rovers in 2004. He became Reserve Team manager in 2008, and in December 2012 he was appointed as caretaker manager following the dismissal of Henning Berg, steering them to a 3–1 victory over Barnsley in his first game in charge. It was later announced that Bowyer would remain in charge until the end of January.
Bowyer was re-appointed Caretaker Manager on 19 March 2013, following the sacking of Michael Appleton, until the end of the season. However, on 26 March 2013 Bowyer said he was unsure how long he would remain in the position, in case the club hired a new permanent manager, and on 8 April 2013 Bowyer was summoned to India for a meeting with the club's owners.
Bowyer was appointed the permanent manager of Blackburn on 24 May 2013, on a 12-month rolling contract.
In his first full season in charge the club finished 8th in the Championship, narrowly missing out on a play-off position.
In his second full season in charge the club finished 9th in the Championship.
- As of 2 May 2015
|Blackburn Rovers (caretaker)||27 December 2012||11 January 2013||4||3||1||0||75.00|
|Blackburn Rovers (caretaker)||19 March 2013||24 May 2013||9||3||3||3||33.33|
|Blackburn Rovers||24 May 2013||Present||101||38||35||28||37.62|
- "Player profile". Up The Posh!. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Sons and Daughters". Bob Dunning. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Profile". Post War English & Scottish Football League A – Z Player's Database. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Where Are They Now?". Nottingham Forest F.C. official website. Retrieved 10 September 2010.
- "Bowyer's praise after team display". Blackburn Rovers F.C.
- "Blackburn: Gary Bowyer & Terry McPhillips in charge for January". BBC Sport. 3 January 2013.
- "Michael Appleton: Blackburn Rovers sack manager". BBC Sport. 19 March 2013.
- "Blackburn Rovers: Gary Bowyer confirmed as caretaker manager". BBC Sport. 22 March 2013.
- "Blackburn Rovers: Gary Bowyer managing 'game by game'". BBC Sport. 26 March 2013.
- Ben Smith and Andy Cryer (8 April 2013). "Blackburn: Gary Bowyer called to India for meeting with Venky's". BBC Sport.
- "Gary Bowyer: Blackburn Rovers caretaker manager appointed boss". BBC Sport. 24 May 2013.
- Gary Bowyer management career statistics at Soccerbase