Gary Chapman (author)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
Gary Demonte Chapman (born January 10, 1938) is a relationship counselor and author of the The 5 Love Languages series. He is the director of Marriage and Family Life Consultants, Inc. He also has a radio program on marriage and relationships that airs on over 100 stations and can be heard via the internet.
He is a graduate of Moody Bible Institute and holds a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree from Wheaton College and Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in anthropology from Wake Forest University. He also received Master of Religious Education (M.R.E.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
He is also the senior associate pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He joined the staff in 1971 and shares the responsibilities of teaching and family care. He is recognized nationally and internationally as a trusted intellectual Biblical teacher and relationship expert.
He is perhaps best known for his concept of "Five Love Languages," helping people speak and understand emotional love when it is expressed through one of five languages: words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, or physical touch. Chapman argues that while each of these languages is enjoyed to some degree by all people, a person will usually speak one primary language, but all are important and can be ranked after taking the love language profile. He has also authored the Five Love Language concept books for parents of children and teenagers, single adults, and a special version for men. He has co-authored The Five Languages of Apology with Dr. Jennifer Thomas, which focuses on giving and receiving apologies. Additionally, Chapman co-authored The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace with Dr. Paul White, applying the concepts to work-based relationships.
The first of many books promoting the above concept was The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate, first published in 1992. The book has sold over 6 million copies in English; having been translated into 38 other languages — and the 1996 edition consistently ranks in the top 100 sellers on Amazon.com, ranking in the top 50 as of February, 2007. It also consistently ranks in the top 5 books on the New York Times Bestsellers List, claiming the #1 spot at times.
He is married to Karolyn J. Chapman (born 1939). They have two adult children, Shelley and Derek.
- Gary Chapman (2004). The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate (new edition). Northfield Press. ISBN 1-881273-10-5.
- Gary Chapman, Jennifer Thomas (2013). "When Sorry Isn't Enough". Northfield Press. ISBN 0-8024-0704-7
- Gary Chapman (2010). The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts. Northfield Press. ISBN 978-0-8024-7315-8.
- Gary Chapman, Ross Campbell, M.D. (1997). The Five Love Languages of Children. Moody. ISBN 1-881273-65-2.
- Gary Chapman, Jennifer Thomas (2006). The Five Languages of Apology. Moody. ISBN 1-881273-57-1
- Gary Chapman (2009). Love is a Verb: Stories of What Happens When Love Comes Alive Bethany House. ISBN 978-0-7642-0760-0
- Gary Chapman, Paul White (2011). The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace. Northfield Press. ISBN 0-8024-6198-0
- Works by or about Gary Chapman in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- The 5 Love Languages official site
- Moody Radio official site