Gary Clail is an English singer and record producer and is the founder of the Gary Clail Sound System. He was part of On-U Sound Records (and also the On-U Sound System) and led Gary Clail's Tackhead Sound System.
Clail worked originally as a roofer, but during the mid to late 1980s based in Bristol, he became a warm up act for On-U gigs. Clail first released a record in 1985. Several 12" singles were issued between 1985 and 1987, before Clail's first LP for Nettwerk, Tackhead Tape Time, a split effort between Clail and Tackhead. "Television: The Drug of the Nation" by The Beatnigs was remixed by Clail, Adrian Sherwood and Mark Stewart, on the Alternative Tentacles record label in 1988.
In 1989, Clail issued his own album, billed as Gary Clail & On-U Sound System, on On-U Sound, which marked Clail's entrance to the electronic underground scene in Bristol, eventually leading him to work with RCA a couple of years later. This output incorporated several singles and EPs, as well as The Emotional Hooligan album (1991).
Clail released a further album on Yelen Records, entitled Keep the Faith (1996).
- Gary Clail and the Occult Technology of Power - "Half Cut for Confidence"
- Gary Clail (and Tackhead) - "Hard Left"
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System featuring Bim Sherman - "Beef" (1990) - UK #64
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "Human Nature" (1991) - UK #10
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "Escape" (1991) - UK #44
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "The Emotional Hooligan"
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "Who Pays The Piper?" (1992) - UK #31
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "These Things Are Worth Fighting For" (1993) - UK #45
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - "Speak No Evil"
- Gary Clail - "Another Hard Man"
- Gary Clail - "Promotional Sampler"
- Gary Clail - "Gary Clail"
- Gary Clail Sound System - Nail It To The Mast (2014) )
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - End Of The Century Party (1989)
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - The Emotional Hooligan (1991) - UK #35
- Gary Clail On-U Sound System - Dreamstealers (1993)
- Gary Clail - Keep The Faith (1996)
- Gary Clail - Human Nature: The Very Best Of Gary Clail - compilation
- Gary Clail Soundsystem - Nail it the Mast (2014). Label: Captain Swing – CATSWIG CD1
- Gary Clail Biography
- Proefrock, Stacia. Biography of Gary Clail at AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- Robbins, IA (1991) The Trouser Press Record Guide, 4th ed. Maxwell Macmillan International, ISBN 0-02-036361-3
- "Gary Clail Soundsystem* - Nail It To The Mast". Discogs. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 107. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- 2014 Release Nail It To The Mast
- Official Tackhead website
- Artist page at unofficial On-U Sound site
- Discography page at unofficial On-U Sound site
- Sound website