June 14, 1957 |
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
Snow College (DB)
Snow College (OC)
Western Illinois (OC)
New Hampshire (OC)
Boston College (QB)
Georgia Tech (co-OC)
Louisiana Tech (OC)
Chicago Bears (OC)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers (OC)
Southern Utah (OC)
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
1 MWC (2001)
Crowton has also served as offensive coordinator at the University of Maryland, offensive coordinator at the University of Oregon, head coach at Brigham Young University, offensive coordinator for the NFL's Chicago Bears, head coach at Louisiana Tech, and offensive coordinator at Louisiana State University, which won a national championship in 2008. Crowton is most known for his aggressive offensive style, such as the "razzle dazzle" offensive scheme utilized in Chicago (as brought to the limelight by then Kansas City Chiefs head coach Gunther Cunningham). He was nicknamed "The Wizard" by the LSU players, after completing 39 games with an accomplishment of at least 30 points within 25 games and a 25–10 overall mark.
Offensive Success and QB Guru
- As a quarterback coach at Boston College, he helped mentor Glenn Foley to a 1991 season where he threw for 2,222 yards with 21 TD.
- While at Louisiana Tech, he was known for his great quarterback coaching. In 1995, Jason Martin threw for 2,606 yards with 24 TD vs 12 INT. The next year, Martin would throw for 3,360 yards with 32 TD vs 16 INT. In 1997, he coached Tim Rattay to a 3,881 yards 34 TD to 10 INT season while WR Troy Edwards had 101 catches for 1,707 yards with 13 TD. Both players would break out in 1998 with Rattay throwing for 4,943 yards with 46 TD vs 13 INT and Troy Edwards finishing with 140 catches for 1,996 yards and 27 TD.
- In 1999 with the Chicago Bears, quarterbacks Shane Matthews & Jim Miller combined for 2,883 yards with 17 TD vs 12 INT. Cade McNown threw for 1,465 yards and 8 TD as well. WR Marcus Robinson had 84 catches for 1,400 yards with 9 TD. In 2000, RB James Allen ran for 1,120 yards.
- In 2001 at BYU, Crowton's offense was #1 the country for both yards(547.5/game) and points(46.8/game). Brandon Dowman threw for 3542 yards, 33 TD's with only 8 INT. That same year Luke Staley won the Doak Walker award (the nations top running back) while rushing for 1596 yards (8.1 avg.)and scoring 28 TD's. Staley also lead the nation in scoring with 170 points.
- In 2004 at BYU, he helped coach QB John Beck whom threw for 2,563 yards with 15 TD vs 8 INT. WR Austin Collie had 53 catches for 771 yards with 8 TD.
- Under his direction in 2005, QB Kellen Clemens threw for 2,406 yards with 19 TD vs 4 INT. WR Demetrius Williams finished with 59 catches for 1,059 yards and 10 TD.
- He continued his QB guru coaching at LSU in 2007. Matt Flynn threw for 2,407 yards with 21 TD vs 11 INT. In 2009, Jordan Jefferson threw for 2,166 yards with 17 TD vs 7 INT. In 2010 he coached RB Stevan Ridley who ran for 1,107 yards with 15 TD.
- In 2014 with Southern Utah, QB Ammon Olsen threw for 3,049 yards with 21 TD vs 11 INT.
Head coaching record
|Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Independent) (1996–1998)|
|Brigham Young Cougars (Mountain West Conference) (2001–2004)|
|2001||Brigham Young||12–2||7–0||1st||L Liberty||24||25|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|†Indicates Bowl Coalition, Bowl Alliance, Bowl Championship Series (BCS) bowl, or College Football Playoff (CFP) game.
#Rankings from final Coaches Poll.
- "Blue Bombers fire offensive coordinator Crowton". TSN.ca. 18 August 2013.
- "LSU offensive coordinator Gary Crowton accepts job with Maryland". NOLA.com. Retrieved 13 January 2011.
- "College Football Historical Records". New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-07.
- "Gary Crowton bio". LSUsports.net. released July 27, 2010. Retrieved 21 Sep 2012. Check date values in:
- "The R.M. at the Internet Movie Database".
|Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinators