Gary DeMar is an American writer, lecturer and the president of American Vision, an American Christian nonprofit organization. The think-tank has a vision of "an America that recognizes the sovereignty of God over all of life and where Christians are engaged in every facet of society".
Family life and education
DeMar resides in Marietta, Georgia with his wife Carol. They have two grown sons. DeMar is a member of Midway Presbyterian Church, affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in America. DeMar graduated from Western Michigan University in 1973 and earned a M.Div. from Reformed Theological Seminary in 1979. He earned his Ph.D. in Christian Intellectual History from Whitefield Theological Seminary in 2007.
DeMar began working at American Vision in 1981 as a research analyst. In 1986 he became the president of the organization. DeMar is the author of 25 books. Beginning on June 3, 2006, DeMar began hosting "The Gary DeMar Show", a radio program airing live from Atlanta, every Saturday at noon ET." The Gary DeMar Show" now is available as a podcast every weekday for 10 minutes and as a video-cast on YouTube.
Ruler of the Nations
In the foreword to DeMar's book Ruler of the Nations, John W. Whitehead notes that the book "presents a clear and well-substantiated description of the three types of government established by God-the family, the church, and the civil government-each given its own specific and limited jurisdiction". In the Editor's Introduction, Gary North points out DeMar's description of "an intellectual war going on, a war between two rival views of God, man, law and society." North says that the "book has made the meaning of theocracy clear".
In the chapter titled Reconstructing Civil Government, DeMar states,
All government requires a reference point. If God is to be pleased by men, the Bible must become the foundation of all their governments, including civil government. This means that Biblical law must be made the foundation of all righteous judgment in every government: personal (self government), ecclesiastical, familial, and civil.
Religious and political views
DeMar states in an article on the American Vision web site, "Darwinism has secularized everything in America, including our understanding of the Constitution".
American Vision promotes the idea "that the world is not ending tomorrow and that Christ’s Kingdom will be victorious on the earth". AV connects the writings of the founders of America with the organization's vision of contemporary America: "In the New England Confederation of 1643, the Pilgrims stated: '[W]e all came to these parts of America, with one and the same end and aim, namely, to advance the Kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ.'”
DeMar is a proponent of partial preterism.
DeMar is the general editor and co-author of A New World in View (1996) and Reformation to Colonization (1997), the first two volumes in the To Pledge Allegiance history textbook series, and author of the books:
- God and Government series (3 vols.) (1982–86)
- Ruler of the Nations (1987, 2002)
- The Reduction of Christianity with Peter J. Leithart (1988)
- Surviving College Successfully (1988)
- Something Greater Is Here (1988)
- Christian Reconstruction (Co-authored by Dr. Gary North) (1991)
- You’ve Heard It Said (1991)
- America’s Christian History: The Untold Story (1993)
- War of the Worldviews (1994)
- Last Days Madness (4th ed., 1999)
- Is Jesus Coming Soon? (1999)
- Thinking Straight in a Crooked World (2001)
- End Times Fiction: A Biblical Consideration of the Left Behind Theology (2001)
- The Changing Face of Islam in History and Prophecy (2002)
- America’s Christian Heritage (2002)
- Myths, Lies, & Half Truths (2004)
- The Early Church and the End of the World (2005)
- Whoever Controls the Schools Rules the World (2007)
- Memory Mechanics (2008)
- America's 200-Year War with Islamic Terrorism (2009)
- Movies with Worldviews in Mind (2009)
- Doomsday Deja Vu (2009)
- Meaty Tales! (2009)
- Why the End of the World Is Not in Your Future (2009)
- Left Behind: Separating Fact from Fiction (2009)
- 10 Popular Prophecy Myths Exposed (2010)
- "About Us". American Vision. Retrieved May 10, 2006.
- "Staff Profiles". American Vision. Retrieved March 31, 2009.
- "The Gary DeMar Show". American Vision.
- "About American Vision". American Vision. Retrieved February 1, 2012.
- "Political Outcast". politicaloutcast.com. 2013. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Godfather Politics". godfatherpolitics.com. 2013. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- DeMar, Gary (1987). "Foreword". In Gary North. Ruler of the Nations. Ft. Worth, Texas: Dominion Press. xix. ISBN 0-930462-19-X.
- DeMar, Gary (1987). "Introduction". In Gary North. Ruler of the Nations. Ft. Worth, Texas: Dominion Press. pp. x, xv. ISBN 0-930462-19-X.
- DeMar, Gary (1987). "Reconstrucing Civil Government". In Gary North. Ruler of the Nations. Ft. Worth, Texas: Dominion Press. p. 207. ISBN 0-930462-19-X.
- DeMar, Gary (November 3, 2005). "The Constitution is No More". American Vision. Archived from the original on March 22, 2011.
- Vallorani, Brandon. "The Mustard Seed Plot". American Vision Blog. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Vallorani, Brandon. "Advancing the Kingdom – in God’s Strength or Our Own?". American Vision Blog. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Gary DeMar". American Vision. Retrieved May 10, 2006.