Gary G. Dahl
|Gary G. Dahl|
|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 38th district
January 2005 – December 2010
|Preceded by||Patrick Welch|
|Succeeded by||Sue Rezin|
December 5, 1940 |
Lake Mills, Iowa
In 2009, Senator Dahl was the chief sponsor behind a bill in the Illinois Senate to officially recognize Pluto as a planet and to declare March 13, 2009 as "Pluto Day" in the State. Legislative priorities: • Restore fiscal discipline to Illinois and tackle the budget crisis • Bring more high quality, good paying jobs to the 38th District • Reform Illinois ethics laws and enhance sunshine of state government.
Committees on Agriculture and Conservation; Commerce and Economic Development; Licensed Activities; State Government and Veterans Affairs
Small business owner – President of the Double D Express Inc., Double D Warehouse LLC, based in Peru, Illinois which Dahl founded in 1985.
U.S. Army Veteran (1958–1962)
Gary has been a member of numerous community organizations, including the Illinois Valley Red Cross (board member for six years), Illinois Valley Area Chamber of Commerce (two-time president), Meals on Wheels volunteer, Habitat for Humanity Foundation Board, the Illinois Valley Animal Rescue, the Peru Rotary and the Junior Achievement Board. As a small business owner, Gary also belongs to several groups connected to his work, including the National Federation of Independent Business, the Mid-West Truckers Association, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, the Illinois Trucking Association and the American Trucking Association. He also served as treasurer of the Distribution & LTL Carriers Association.
Red Cross’s Prairie State Good Neighbor Award (2004), Peru Rotary Community Service Award (1993), Rotarian of the Year (2003), Junior Achievement Award (2003), Innovative Solutions Workforce Development program (2000), Jimmy Carter Humanitarian Award (2000), Horizon House Appreciation Award (2003) .
Dahl is married to Debbie, father of five children, two stepchildren and 14 grandchildren. He currently lives in rural Granville.
- Staff, Writer (2010-12-02). "Speculation swirls about Dahl's replacement". Ottawa Times. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- Stout, Steve (2010-12-11). "Rezin of Morris selected as Dahl's replacement". Ottawa Times. Retrieved 2010-12-02.
- Senator Gary Dahl official website
- Illinois General Assembly - Senator Gary G. Dahl (R) 38th District official IL Senate website
- Follow the Money - Gary G. Dahl
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Gary G. Dahl (IL) profile
- Illinois State Senate Republicans - Dan Cronin profile
- Double D Express Web site