October 12, 1957 |
East Orange, New Jersey, U.S.
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Listed weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Clifford J. Scott
(East Orange, New Jersey)
|NBA draft||1979 / Round: 2 / Pick: 30th overall|
|Selected by the Denver Nuggets|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Gary J. Garland (born October 12, 1957), also known as Gary Houston, is a former professional basketball player for the Denver Nuggets in the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played one season with the Nuggets (the 1979–80 season). Garland studied at DePaul University. He is the son of gospel singer Cissy Houston, and the half-brother of Michael Houston and Whitney Houston. He is the uncle of Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney's daughter with Bobby Brown. Garland himself has performed as a singer.
Work as a vocal singer
After a break from basketball, Garland joined his half-sister R&B/pop singer Whitney Houston, by participating in her Greatest Love Tour in 1986 as a duet/background vocalist. This led to a continuous work relationship; he was featured in several of Whitney's tours throughout the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s and her final tour, 2010's Nothing But Love Tour.
- The Greatest Love World Tour (1986)
- Moment of Truth World Tour (1987–88)
- I'm Your Baby Tonight World Tour (1991)
- The Bodyguard World Tour (1993–94)
- Pacific Rim Tour (1997)
- My Love Is Your Love World Tour (1999)
- Soul Divas Tour (2004)
- Nothing But Love World Tour (2010)
- Garland is married to Pat Houston, and the couple has a daughter named, Raya Garland.Also he has two older children son Jon Blaire and Daughter Asha with first wife Monique.
- "Gary Garland NBA & ABA Statistics". Basketball-Reference.com. Retrieved July 4, 2012.
- "A Demon of a singer". Chicago Sun-Times. July 11, 1986. 10.
- Career statistics and player information from Basketball-Reference.com
|This biographical article relating to a United States basketball player, coach, or other figure born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|