|Dr. Gary P. Hamel|
Gary Hamel (left) interviews Eric Schmidt (right)
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Occupation||Author, professional speaker, consultant, management expert|
Dr. Gary P. Hamel is an American management expert. He is a founder of Strategos, an international management consulting firm based in Chicago.
Gary Hamel is the originator (with C. K. Prahalad) of the concept of core competencies. He is also the director of the Woodside Institute, a nonprofit research foundation based in Woodside, California.
He is a visiting Professor of Strategic Management at London Business School. He was formerly a Visiting Professor of International Business at the University of Michigan (PhD 1990) and at Harvard Business School.
His academic standing took a dent soon after publication of the hardback version of Leading the Revolution, in which he had written a very positive profile of Enron. Following the critical reception of Leading the Revolution, Hamel began work on resilience in business strategy. He wrote of the concept in a 2003 Harvard Business Review article titled "The Quest for Resilience"
The Wall Street Journal in 2008 has ranked Gary Hamel as one of the world's most influential business thinkers, and Fortune magazine has called him "the world's leading expert on business strategy". In 2013, his name was not present on an updated version of the Wall Street Journal list.
- The Core Competence of the Corporation (Harvard Business Review) (1990)
- Strategy as Revolution (Harvard Business Review) (1996)
- Competing for the future (with C. K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business School Press, April 1996) ISBN 978-0-87584-716-0
- Alliance Advantage: The Art of Creating Value Through Partnering (with Yves L. Doz) (Harvard Business School Press, September 1998) ISBN 978-0-87584-616-3
- Strategic Flexibility: Managing in a Turbulent Environment (with C. K. Prahalad, Howard Thomas and Don O'Neal) (Wiley, January 5, 1999) ISBN 978-0-471-98473-3
- Leading the Revolution (Harvard Business School Press, 2000) ISBN 978-0-452-28324-4
- The Quest for Resilience (with Liisa Välikangas) (Harvard Business Review) (2003)
- The Future of Management (with Bill Breen) (Harvard Business School Press, September 10, 2007) ISBN 978-1-4221-0250-3
- "Funding Growth in an Age of Austerity" (with Gary Getz) (Harvard Business Review, July–August 2004)
- "What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation" (2011) ISBN 978-1-118-12082-8
- Gary Hamel: the search for a new strategic platform. – Free Online Library
- "Gary Hamel Sees "More Options: Fewer Grand Visions"". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- Kneale, Klaus (October 13, 2009). "In Pictures: The 10 Most Influential Business Gurus". Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- "Celebrity Economists Make Waves". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Strategos |whoweare – ourpeople|
- Gary Hamel (Gurteen Knowledge)
- Official site
- Management Innovation Exchange is one of Gary Hamel's newest projects where he talks about the need to reinvent management for the next century
- MLab website
- Gary Hamel Biography on the World Business Forum where Hamel is a featured speaker for the 2011 event