|Dr. Gary P. Hamel|
Gary Hamel (left) interviews Eric Schmidt (right)
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Occupation||Author, professional speaker, consultant, management expert|
Dr. Gary P. Hamel (born 1954) is an American management expert. He is a founder of Strategos, an international management consulting firm based in Chicago.
Hamel has been was Visiting Professor of International Business at the University of Michigan (PhD 1990) and at Harvard Business School. He is a visiting Professor of Strategic Management at London Business School.
Gary Hamel is the originator (with C. K. Prahalad) of the concept of core competencies. He is also the director of the Woodside Institute, a nonprofit research foundation based in Woodside, California. He was a founder of the consulting firm Strategos, serving as Chairman until 2003. The UTEK Corporation acquired Strategos in 2008 in an all stock transaction as reported by the SEC.
The Wall Street Journal ranked Gary Hamel as one of the world's most influential business thinkers, and Forbes magazine has called him "the world's leading expert on business strategy". In 2013, his name was not present on an updated version of the Wall Street Journal list.
- Competing for the future (with C. K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business School Press, April 1996) ISBN 978-0-87584-716-0
- Alliance Advantage: The Art of Creating Value Through Partnering (with Yves L. Doz) (Harvard Business School Press, September 1998) ISBN 978-0-87584-616-3
- Strategic Flexibility: Managing in a Turbulent Environment (with C. K. Prahalad, Howard Thomas and Don O'Neal) (Wiley, January 5, 1999) ISBN 978-0-471-98473-3
- Leading the Revolution (Harvard Business School Press, 2000) ISBN 978-0-452-28324-4
- The Future of Management (with Bill Breen) (Harvard Business School Press, September 10, 2007) ISBN 978-1-4221-0250-3
- "What Matters Now: How to Win in a World of Relentless Change, Ferocious Competition, and Unstoppable Innovation" (2011) ISBN 978-1-118-12082-8
- Competence Based Competition (ed) (with Aime Heene) (John Wiley & Sons, 1994) ISBN 0-471-94397-5
- Articles, a selection
- The Core Competence of the Corporation (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1990)
- Strategic Intent (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1989)
- Corporate Imagination and Expeditionary Marketing (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1991)
- Strategy as Stretch and Leverage (with C.K. Prahalad) (Harvard Business Review) (1993)
- Strategy as Revolution (Harvard Business Review) (1996)
- Bringing Silicon Valley Inside (Harvard Business Review), (1999)
- The Quest for Resilience (with Liisa Välikangas) (Harvard Business Review) (2003)
- "Funding Growth in an Age of Austerity" (with Gary Getz) (Harvard Business Review, July–August 2004)
- The Why, What, and How of Management Innovation (Harvard Business Review), 84, (2006)
- Official site
- Management Innovation Exchange is one of Gary Hamel's newest projects where he talks about the need to reinvent management for the next century
- MLab website
- Gary Hamel Biography on the World Business Forum where Hamel is a featured speaker for the 2011 event
- Gary Hamel: the search for a new strategic platform. – Free Online Library
- Gary Hamel (Gurteen Knowledge)
- "Gary Hamel Sees "More Options: Fewer Grand Visions"". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved October 26, 2009.
- Kneale, Klaus (October 13, 2009). "In Pictures: The 10 Most Influential Business Gurus". Forbes.com LLC. Retrieved October 26, 2009.
- "Celebrity Economists Make Waves". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved July 4, 2013.