|No. 14 – Denver Nuggets|
September 14, 1994 |
|Listed height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Listed weight||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school||Hamilton Southeastern
|College||Michigan State (2012–2014)|
|NBA draft||2014 / Round: 1 / Pick: 19th overall|
|Selected by the Chicago Bulls|
|Career highlights and awards|
Gary Harris (born September 14, 1994) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Denver Nuggets of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball at Michigan State University.
High school career
Harris attended Hamilton Southeastern High School in Fishers, Indiana. As a sophomore, he averaged 14 points, four rebounds, two assists and three steals per game as he led Hamilton SE to a 17-4 record. As a junior, he averaged 18.6 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.7 steals per game as he led the Royals to a 20-4 record and a trip to the Class 4A regional finals, capturing just the second sectional championship in school history.
As a senior, he averaged 25.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 4.0 steals per game as he led the Royals to a 22-3 record, advancing to the Class 4A sectional final. He finished his high school career with a school-record 1540 points (16.7 ppg), 467 rebounds (5.1 rpg), 232 assists (2.5 apg) and 232 steals (2.5 spg).
Harris was rated among the top players in the nation by ESPNU100 (No. 11), Scout.com (No. 16) and Rivals.com (No. 25). He was also ranked among the nation's top shooting guards by ESPNU100 (No. 2), Scout.com (No. 4) and Rivals.com (No. 7).
Harris was also an outstanding football player at Hamilton SE, playing wide receiver in his sophomore, junior and senior years. He won three league championships, while also adding a sectional championship as a senior.
- 2012 Jordan Brand Classic game invitee
- 2012 Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year
- 2012 Indiana All-Star
- 2012 Indiana-Kentucky All-Star series MVP
- 2012 First-team Parade All-American
- 2011 Indiana Junior All-Star
- 2011 All-Hoosier Cross Roads Conference
- 2011 Indianapolis Star First Team honoree
- 2011 Hamilton County Player of the Year
- 2011 Hoosier Basketball Magazine All-State selection
In his freshman season at Michigan State, Harris was named the 2013 Big Ten Freshman of the Year, becoming the first Spartan to win the award since 1986. He was also a second team All-Big Ten selection and a Big Ten All-Freshman Team honoree. In 34 games (33 starts), he averaged 12.9 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.4 assists and 1.2 steals in 29.7 minutes per game.
In his sophomore season, he was a first team All-Big Ten honoree, All-Big Ten Defensive Team honoree, USBWA All-District selection, first team NABC All-District honoree and an honorable mention Associated Press All-American. In the season opener against McNeese State, he recorded his first career double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. On January 25, 2014, he recorded a career high 27 points against Michigan. In 35 games, he averaged 16.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.8 steals in 32.3 minutes per game.
On April 14, 2014, Harris declared for the NBA draft, foregoing his final two years of college eligibility.
On June 26, 2014, Harris was selected with the 19th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft by the Chicago Bulls. He was later traded to the Denver Nuggets on draft night. On July 31, 2014, Harris signed with the Nuggets after averaging 18.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.6 steals and 2.0 assists in five Summer League games. After missing the first seven games of the 2014–15 season with a back injury, Harris made his NBA debut on November 14, 2014 against the Indiana Pacers. In 18 minutes of action, he recorded 13 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block in the 108-87 win.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Harris is the son of Gary and Joy Harris (née Holmes). Joy was a four-year letterwinner at Purdue from 1988 to 1991, and currently ranks seventh in school history with 1,747 points; a 1991 first team Kodak/WBCA All-American, she went on to play in the WNBA for the Detroit Shock in 2000.
- "Gary Harris commits to Michigan St.". ESPN.com. November 9, 2011. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Gary Harris Bio". msuspartans.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Gary Harris Stats". Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Michigan State Spartans’ Star Sophomore Guard, Gary Harris, Declares for the NBA Draft". SportsMedia101.com. April 14, 2014. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Nuggets get Gary Harris, Jusuf Nurkic in first round of 2014 NBA Draft". NBA.com. June 26, 2014. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
- "Denver Nuggets Sign First-Round Picks Jusuf Nurkic and Gary Harris". NBA.com. July 31, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "Balanced Nuggets rout Pacers 108-87". NBA.com. November 14, 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2014.